CRF250r not shifting into first gear HELP
    Motomonty

CRF250r not shifting into first gear HELP

by Motomonty » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:36 pm

So I've got a CRF250r 2015 that I bought about a month ago, I change the oil every 5 hours and oil filter every 10, I was just riding yesterday and I did a few jumps, after one of the jumps I went to change into first but it just went into neutral and it won't go below that. All the other gears are working and shifting fine, my clutch is great (just had new plates and fibres) its just first, it won't even click it just goes down to the bottom on the shift without engaging. I did just take. link out of my chain and I did it a bit tighter than I normally would and I was told that me doing the jump with a chain that was too tight could have bent a fork in the gear shifting mechanism ? can I view and check that by taking the right hand side clutch/waterpump cover (The big one)? if anyone could give me some other possible issues or things to check would be much appreciated.
    need it working by next weekend and I have time so anything I need to do I will. Thanks
    JimDirt

Re: CRF250r not shifting into first gear HELP

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You can look to see if the detent is working properly , as it could have popped out and is only giving tension one way ..... did you happen to jump or do something (crash) and jam the shifter down at any point ???? , do you know the history of the bike ?? , prior owner ?, raced ?,trail ridden ? , beat on it ? , crashed a lot ?? , it is possible that a fork is bent , but usually it happens in the higher gears when shifting without the clutch and banging the gears (which is fine by itself if done correctly) and the tranny being under load by not slightly letting off the gas when shifting to relieve the torque on the tranny , chain tight or not , that can cause issues ..... I would think a tight chain would cause more issues with the countershaft bearing before a shift fork .....

Usually a bent shift fork is caused by forceful pressure such as shifting under load , or falling on the shifter side and the shifter gets pushed beyond its limit , but that is usually up , not down ..... so not sure on that , but jumping and having your foot on the shifter and hitting the ground and jamming it into 1st gear would definitely do it .... or pounding the shifter down while coming into a corner , dropping from 3rd or 4th to first into a corner and just raising your foot and jamming it down for each gear hard while wheel hopping on breaking bumps into a corner , that is highly possible :-k , but yea , looking at the clutch side detent will confirm if it is there or in the tranny (tranny means complete tear down) :cry:
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Motomonty

by Motomonty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Pulled her apart last night and my water pump cog is cracked and there is metal fillings through my oil, I'm wondering if there is something blocking the star shifter thing that changes the gears. Yes my chain was tighter than usual when I did a jump but I don't remember landing with my feet on the gear stick. ill check if there's any metal blocking anything and if it's not that ill have to split the cases I think... im hoping its just the waterpump bearing and cog that needs replacing and then needing to find the broken off piece and flushing the . out. it is on 140 hours and it has only been train ridden and done a few crosscountrys. also had piston and rings done at 100 hours... just some info for ya
    Welcome to the site !! \:D/

You can look to see if the detent is working properly , as it could have popped out and is only giving tension one way ..... did you happen to jump or do something (crash) and jam the shifter down at any point ???? , do you know the history of the bike ?? , prior owner ?, raced ?,trail ridden ? , beat on it ? , crashed a lot ?? , it is possible that a fork is bent , but usually it happens in the higher gears when shifting without the clutch and banging the gears (which is fine by itself if done correctly) and the tranny being under load by not slightly letting off the gas when shifting to relieve the torque on the tranny , chain tight or not , that can cause issues ..... I would think a tight chain would cause more issues with the countershaft bearing before a shift fork .....

Usually a bent shift fork is caused by forceful pressure such as shifting under load , or falling on the shifter side and the shifter gets pushed beyond its limit , but that is usually up , not down ..... so not sure on that , but jumping and having your foot on the shifter and hitting the ground and jamming it into 1st gear would definitely do it .... or pounding the shifter down while coming into a corner , dropping from 3rd or 4th to first into a corner and just raising your foot and jamming it down for each gear hard while wheel hopping on breaking bumps into a corner , that is highly possible :-k , but yea , looking at the clutch side detent will confirm if it is there or in the tranny (tranny means complete tear down) :cry:
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Well , that looks like you are missing a few teeth , do you know what caused the gear to fail ?? , yes, definitely check thru the engine for shrapnel

As far as the Shift Drum , it is possible that it jumped out , you will know when you get into it ..... Keep us posted .... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Motomonty

by Motomonty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Checked everything I could see in that right side cover, I have ordered a new cog but couldn't seem to get it off... is it opposite threaded ? I checked everything and couldn't see anything stopping the first gear, put back together and still not working. I think I will just put the new cog on and ride it without first until I can afford to have it in the dealership to get fixed. unless anyone could think of anything else to check
    thanks
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:07 pm

What my question is , is what caused the gear on the WP to break , that and you are positive the detent is centered correct ?? , what does it do when you manually shift it with the clutch cover off so you can see the detent working ??? , is it moving all the way and returning to center ???
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Motomonty

by Motomonty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Yes it is working perfect for the other gears and is returning to centre. It just won't go below neutral, when I try to go into first it goes down but does not engage anything. I took apart the shifter drum and all looked good and functioned good, i think I will flush out the whole transmission side but I don't know what with ? Any ideas would be great
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:35 pm

If you have a solvent tank or a basin of some sort , you could use Mineral Spirits (it kind of smells) or a water based cleaner , around here we have stuff called Awesome , it is water based , and Biodegradable , so no worries about clean-up , it is what I use in my solvent tank , , then just rinse with clean water , then blow dry with the air hose ...... I do my suspension this way and for parts cleaning in general .......

It is sounding more and more like the shift fork for 1st is bent and holding the gear over so it wont engage ..... the manual should give specs on the fork to see if it is bent or damaged in any way ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Motomonty

by Motomonty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't have a manual but I worked out why the cog broke, its cause I took apart my big clutch cover recently and I didn't realise you have to line it up and you can't see it in behind there so I did it up and put too much pressure on it and it snapped then I rode on it and . must have got into the transmission. I tried cleaning it out and putting it back together but don't wanna run it incase threes more . in there. thinking I need to get the cases split...
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Did you lay out the pieces you found and see how much is missing ?? , and did you clear all the shavings that were visible ?? , if it's a steel gear then you can take a magnet (you should have a thin round magnet on a telescopic stick) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pick-Up-Tool ... cCEALw_wcB and push it around and see if you come up with any stray pieces
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Motomonty

by Motomonty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm

yes I've cleaned it all up with magnet now
    Motomonty

by Motomonty » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:47 pm

not sure what to do at this point may be a job for the shop