Stator Cover Leak
  • kellyp3

Stator Cover Leak

by kellyp3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Bought the bike used and have gone through the carb and valves getting everything in in good order. Now the next task is fixing this stator cover leak. I bought a new gasket for it but when I removed the cover I noticed one of the bottom bolt holes was broken out. I found the piece that was broke off. Just have no idea how to fix it. I’ve entertained the idea of brazing it back together with HTS 2000 but it’s in a tough spot to get to and gravity is not gonna be my friend. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    JimDirt

Re: Stator Cover Leak

by JimDirt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

A picture would help (you need a hosting site for your pictures to link to this site) , but if the case is broke at a thread hole , you can remove the case (basically tearing the entire engine apart) and see if a Welder would attempt a repair , or replace the case with either a used (much cheaper) or buy a new one ... most likely any kind of "band aid" is going to be just that , and usually they don't hold up , so eventually your going to have to replace the case one way or the other ....you can try your patch , but i doubt it will hold at all or if it does , once the engine cycles the heat a few times , its going to compromise the repair and its going to start leaking again

Like i said , a picture might give us the ability to give you more options , but based on most case breaks , they tend to always leak unless the part is removed , seriously cleaned , and welded professionally .... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • kellyp3

by kellyp3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 am

Thank you for the quick reply Jim. I have pictures but I can’t figure out how to post them.

I really don’t want to crack the cases to finish this job if I don’t have to. It would be an easy fix for any capable tig welder. I just worry the heat might be too much for the internals with the cases together. I’m gonna try a patch job for now. My thinking is, the bolt only needs to be torqued to 8-10 ft pounds and there shouldn’t be any excessive heat. Vibration is probably the biggest issue. I wish I could post the pictures I have. I’ll try and figure that out. Thanks again.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 pm

You need a Hosting site like IMGUR or something of that nature , most of us used to use Photobucket , till they started charging $300 for anyone wanting to post their pictures on any forums , so , we have all had to find alternatives that are still free to use and still post on forums , basically what you do is Upload your picture to the Hosting site , then go to the Links , the picture has , pick the one for Forums , and copy/paste the link in your post and it shows up , it will look like this (without the space between the / /)
    [img]https:/ /i.imgur.com/PaWWmGG.jpg?1[/img]

But show up like this: *yea thats me...don't laugh , i'm old..*

As far as Welding , unfortunately , it would have to be taken apart , if it was welded on with the engine in the bike assembled , most likely it would fry your electronics , as far as the "patch" goes , you have to make sure it is completely free of oil before repairing , otherwise , nothing will stick and will most likely leak , along with be a weak repair , so if you can't get it spotless and dry , you will be fighting a losing battle , read the JB Weld tube or whatever your going to use , some will say do not use in oil or fluids , so make sure what you use is compatible with Aluminum AND works when saturated in oil or liquids ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi Jim,
    I have seen older guys and girls on bikes.
    You are lucky and can still get helmet hair( all messed up) and it isn't grey.

Bike is looking sweet.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Jim,
    I have seen older guys and girls on bikes.
    You are lucky and can still get helmet hair( all messed up) and it isn't grey.

Bike is looking sweet.

Thanks Ray , yea the gray on my moustache is hard to keep in check ("Just For Men" helps) , but so far the head hair , or rather what is left of it , is staying blond/brown...ish , just a LOT shorter than it was a few years ago , a reaction to B/P meds made most of it fall out and break off , went from my waist to where it is now and has not grown in 4 years , if only my heart , lungs, and organs were in as good of shape .... :lol: , for going on 59 soon (bike number = B-Day 8/1959) , i am doing OK , especially after what i have been thru the last year or so , that would turn anyone gray .. :cry: 8-[

Yea for a old 02 , the bike still looks good , definitely holding up better than the rider , it just takes a bit of cosmetic upkeep and upgrades to keep it from looking its age , but unlike me , no major components have failed .....Still deciding if i am going to buy a new CRF450R/X , after i pay off my truck in about 3 years , hard to justify a $9,000 + bike when i will be about 62 when i can afford any payments again , not sure the body will be up to the task of handling that bike compared to what i currently have (had this one since 08 , and my X since 05) , but i sure like the thought of a new R/X

Sorry kellyp3 , did not mean to highjack this topic ... :-#
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho