CLUTCH SLIPPING AFTER NEW PLATES AND SPRINGS
  • CRFripper95

CLUTCH SLIPPING AFTER NEW PLATES AND SPRINGS

by CRFripper95 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello everyone! I have recently encountered a problem and I really have no idea what to do next...I'll start at the beginning. My bike is a 2007 CRF 250R the engine was rebuild with aftermarket piston, rings, crank, all gaskets and seals, etc, the beginning of of this season. I don't race only trail ride and the bike was working perfect for the 15 hours I put on it this summer. Once my back tire was worn pretty close to bald, I put on a new one and I noticed my clutch was slipping I suppose with the extra grip made it easier to notice. So a week ago I ordered up a new clutch cable, friction plates, and springs. I inspected the inside and the basket and pressure plate was fine, the friction plates were pretty well wore out as expected but the steel plates had no blueing and looked like they were in great shape so I used them along with the new friction plates. Once I got er all back together, triple checked to make sure they were in proper order, and that the bolts were torqued to 9 pounds, I filled it up with Lucas 10-w40 oil and ran the bike. I could tell it grabbed much better as soon as I rode the bike, but shortly after flicking her through the gears fast on the pavement I noticed it was STILL slipping.Not as bad as before but the slip is there. I'm not sure what is wrong now I took it for a 30min ride to get everything heated up and babied it for a bit and even slacked the clutch cable off a lot to make sure that it wasn't to tight but no difference. I am not really sure what is wrong. I used the proper oil, torqued everything properly,installed everything in proper order, made sure there was no issues with the cable being to tight, inspected the basket and pressure plate and they were far from wore out. Any help would be greatly appreciated I can get pictures if it will help. Thanks for your time in reading this!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:45 am

Did you soak the friction disks in oil before installation ?? (preferably overnight) , if you don't soak them , they tend to go out rather quickly
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • CRFripper95

by CRFripper95 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:32 pm

yes I soaked them in the same oil as what I put in the bike, I filled up a container and submerged each one in fully for about a minute I never let it soak over night though.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:10 pm

You did not mention if you made sure there was slack in the lever , if the lever is tight all the way to fully extended , then the cable needs adjustment , you need about 3/8 - 13/16 free play in the lever or the clutch can slip

I personally adjust my clutch so it engages and disengages right when it hits my fingers on the grip , this works real well for woods riding so when you need to feather the clutch , its only a slight movement from engaging to disengagement , but the area is close to the bar , not near full extension

When adjusting everything , the cable adjustment (up by the bar) should be no more than 1/2 way extended at most , if the threads are showing a lot of rod then you are out of adjustment range , and need to re-adjust the cable from the bracket to the lever , i am thinking that the new cable is not adjusted correctly somewhere , as there are 3 adjustment places for the cable , and all need to work together for the clutch to work correctly , possibly where the cable mounts to the clutch cable bracket could be throwing everything else off
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • CRFripper95

by CRFripper95 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:39 pm

OK. I was just out in my garage and I did as you said I checked all 3 points of adjustment for my cable. before my clutch didn't engage until the last bit of my clutch lever but now it has that bit of play into it as suggested and engages almost as soon as I release the clutch from the handle bar. But yet still the problem is the same, I am sure it is releasing all the way as it should now,but the slippage is still there. I took the clutch plates out once again but this time I have a few pictures of all the plates, the basket, and pressure plate in hopes in might assist in diagnosing the problem. I'll post them here shortly and explain what I can on each picture. Thank you very much for your assistance so far I appreciate it greatly.
  • CRFripper95

by CRFripper95 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:03 pm

OK here is the link to the pictures.

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/kris_wh ... 5/library/

If it doesn't show up or something let me know and ill try to fix it. I'm starting to wonder now if maybe those steel plates are worn out? and also about that slight damage on the washer inside the basket, but it was like that before I installed the new plates and doesn't SEEM to be effecting anything but you never know...let me know what U think! Thanks!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:11 pm

OK , the basket is grooved enough to cause the clutch to hang , so that could contribute to slipping and clutch chatter (jerky clutch feel) , the plates are definitely scored from the old clutch slipping , they are basically going to contribute to slipping , the frictions look fine from what i can see , the washer is kind of a lock washer , what its supposed to do is be bent up on a couple of tabs to keep the nut from backing off , aside from it being beat up , its fine

My suggestion is to look for another (preferably new) basket , if your going to trail ride , i would suggest a Steel Basket (look on eBay for decent prices) it will last a lot longer than aluminum and it will somewhat act as a weight , kind of like a flywheel weight , so it will help control stalling a bit , the extra weight is more rotating mass , which makes it harder to stall when lugging it , its not as good as a flywheel weight , but it does help ........ also any new basket you get (aside from a stock Honda one) will need the gear removed from your basket and installed on the new one , it should come with the parts to swap it minus the gear itself

Next i would definitely look for some new plates , you can get a clutch plate/friction plates , in a kit for not much more than you most likely paid for just the disks , i think doing this , along with having your cable adjusted like you have it now , will give you the results your wanting , and should eliminate the slipping

Unfortunately , its going to cost a bit , but if you do it right , it will last for a long time , and save on having issues like your having sooner than you should

I trail ride my 450X and my 450R and have been on the same clutch on my X since new and its a 06 , my R i have had since 08 and i ride trails and hit the MX track with it , and am racing it this next weekend at the Old Timers MX , i will have Friday practice , and 3 motos on Saturday and 2 on Sunday , i have no worries about my clutch for this race , on the same clutch it has had for 7 years , so you can make a clutch last if its adjusted and used properly

My suggestion for trail riding is is your having to use the clutch frequently (feathering it) you should drop a gear , so if you have a 50 rear sprocket , go to a 51 and see if you use the clutch less , this will increase the life of the clutch by gearing correctly for your riding ability and you riding conditions

They also sell all the parts you need here , so the choice is yours on where to buy , but you need to replace what i mentioned or its just going to keep on slipping ...sorry ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho