Jetting for reliability
  • Bowman1993

Jetting for reliability

by Bowman1993 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:51 am

Hi guys. I have a 2006 250x that I use around the farm and for the occasional trip to town on the dirt road. Problem is that I am tired of tinkering with the carb twice a day to keep it running right. I have heard that these things are a different machine after jetting and I am wondering if jetting would help me with this. Any input is appreciated! Btw, I am in Northern Guatemala. Temperatures range from about 55-110f.
    JimDirt

Re: Jetting for reliability

by JimDirt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What is your elevation where you ride ?? ( ft. ) and do you know what jets are in it currently ??(Main/Pilot)

Have you been adjusting the Fuel Mixture Screw , and how many turns from lightly seated is it ?? (1-1/2 , 2 turns out ,etc)

Unsure why you are needing to mess with the carb several times a day , let alone at all , unless there is debris in the Pilot Jet , or the Air Filter is extremely dirty , the bike should run without issues unless you are changing elevations with about 4,000 ft change during your ride , and even then you would only need to adjust the fuel mixture a little

A little more detail on the situation would be helpful

What is the bike specifically having issues with ?? (bogging ?, stalling ? , popping thru mufflers ? , etc.)

How many Hours or Miles are on the bike ??

Has the bike been sitting for some time ??

What is the Octane of the gas you are using ??

Has the bike had regular service ?? , and if so how often ??(air filter cleaned/replaced ? , Oil and Filter changed ? , Fresh Premium Gas (91 octane or better) , etc.)

Are the conditions very dusty/dry ?? , or humid and wet ??

Have you had this issue since new ?? , did you buy the bike new/used ??

The more info you can supply , the better we can understand what the issue is specifically , or at least guide you to resolving it
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Bowman1993

Re: Jetting for reliability

by Bowman1993 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am

Random question: who ever starts a thread and does not want to know when it gets a reply? Anyway, my elevation is about 100 ft and a 50 foot change is a big hill! I believe that the Jets are factory, and I am constantly messing with the mixture. It is usually about 2 turns from seated. It doesn't like to start or idle and pops through the muffler during deceleration. The air filter is new and I just cleaned the carb. It does not have a working odo or hour meter. I believe my gas is 93 octane, and it has had regular service for most of its life. Conditions vary, but are not extreme. I have had it for several months and it was like this the whole time I had it. I understood from my little bit of research that these are very finicky so I didn't think a whole lot of it. I know the previous two owners, so I can ask them how it was for them.