Water in my 125f
  • newmudgirl

Water in my 125f

by newmudgirl » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:30 pm

Dumped my 2020 crf125f in muddy water a few days ago. Was not able to start it. Wheelie position water came out and after it sat for a bit it started and i rode it for 2hrs back to camp. After pulling the spark arrester out and 13 oil changes i have all the milky oil out. Still hear a new ticking in my engine....im a newbie. I dont see inspecting valves on a 125 on the How To fix topics...just the 250.. i take it my 125 will be almost the same? Any suggestions on what to do next? If i open the engine what damage am i looking for/ how do i recognise it? I also already pulled a lot of wet mud off the air filter washed it and replaced it. Any help is appreciated!
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Water in my 125f

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi newmudgirl and welcome to the site.
    Sounds like you have done what's need to be done after drowning a bike.
    Don't feel bad everyone has done it at some stage, with exception of desert riders of course. Did you hit the kill switch as it went under or was it the water that stopped the motor.
    I would make sure to clean any mud away any make sure the wiring is clean and dry so it doesn't cause issues later.

Can you identify where this new noise is coming from?
    Top of motor, bottom of motor or pipe as it leaves engine as an example.
    You can use a piece of hose held up to your ear to act as a stethoscope to help find it.

As far as adjusting valve clearances they share more in common with the CRF230 as they have adjustable rockers and not shims like the 250/450 engines.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • newmudgirl

by newmudgirl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:51 am

Thank you Ray. I beleive it was the water that cut the engine. I think i have my new winter project cut out for me.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:04 pm

I think the more modern bikes have a tip over switch so they cut out when you go for a tumble.
    It may have been the bike actually switching itself off.
    Was there any water in the cylinder, did you have to remove the plug to dry it out?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas