Lost Shims
  • Camcool

Lost Shims

by Camcool » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:38 am

I lost 2 of my shims when I had my head worked on. If I measure the intake valves with no shims would that be the same as a shim size 120 since there is a little recess? I am not sure what size shim would actually be the same as the bucket sitting directly on the valve spring. I may just have to put the smallest shim I have (130) and repeat 4 times, I was hoping to not have to take it apart and put it back together so many times.
    Ideas?
    Rob
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't think measuring will get you what you need. If you had the valves done I would hope you need at least a 165.

It is really pick a size, hopefully one that is not too big, measure, and then get the proper size. Even at that, sometimes you find that you need a different shim after you get everything torqued properly and turn the engine over a few times.

I gladly pay $10 for bench shimming with head work, even the one time that I had to re-shim before firing up the engine because the installed shims were only close.

Sorry. Maybe someone will give you a magic answer.
    Official Lurker

crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm

you have to put shims it in to get your initial measurement. if the only shims you have are two shims you might be able to use them for your initial measurements. in some cases the shims you have may be too large to get a measurement. if this is the case you'll have to get thinner shims for your initial measurements.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com