How to: Honda CRF Showa Fork rebuild seals and oil change
    FLASH

by FLASH » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 am

This job will be needed for my 2010 450r soon . Ive cleaned the seals with the said tool but im affraid it may still be leaking . My question is , Does this instructional post cover the forks in a 2010 450 r ? Thanks in advance
    FLASH
    2009crf450r
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 pm

principles are similar but the forks on a 2010 are KYB. the owners manual will show you the specifics to your KYBs.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by FLASH » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks Ken , Unfortunatly i didnt get a manual . Ive ordered one and are waiting to see what that tells me .
    Cheers FLASH
    2009crf450r
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm

You can download the OWNERS manual from Honda's Owners Link website:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp ... home%2Easp

Ken

by raymray » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

Hi is it the same procedure for the new air forks ??
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 pm

raymray wrote:Hi is it the same procedure for the new air forks ??

no, different procedure. do you have the service manual?

by MDAHLBECK113 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:07 am

i have a 2008 crf450r and my forks were leaking. so i bought all the right tools and im having trouble. Hopefully someone can help me out. im having trouble with the center fork bolt and the lock nut. I tighten it and put it back together but now my rebound screw won't move. Anyone know what im doing wrong? :? :roll:
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Did you back out the adjuster prior to re-assembly? It is best to put the tube back in the rod, hand tighten the adjuster to the lock nut, and then turn the adjuster screw. By doing this you make sure the assembly is in the proper position prior to putting it back in the fork tube.
    Official Lurker

• MDAHLBECK113

by MDAHLBECK113 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:31 am

Okay i was able to fix my rebound screw problem. now i have one more problem. I took my inner chamber out to change the oil in there and it was a pain to get out. Then i pour fork oil in and pumped the rod to get the air out. Then i was going to put that spring assembly back into the chamber and i only got it like halfway in and the thing would not budge. i was trying for half an hour and i could not get that thing in there... and screwed in. Is there a special way to get it back in there? or a trick? i watched people do it on youtube and it slides all the way in for them no problem. Please help!
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

MDAHLBECK113 wrote:Okay i was able to fix my rebound screw problem. now i have one more problem. I took my inner chamber out to change the oil in there and it was a pain to get out. Then i pour fork oil in and pumped the rod to get the air out. Then i was going to put that spring assembly back into the chamber and i only got it like halfway in and the thing would not budge. i was trying for half an hour and i could not get that thing in there... and screwed in. Is there a special way to get it back in there? or a trick? i watched people do it on youtube and it slides all the way in for them no problem. Please help!

If the correct amount of oil is in the chamber, it will be pushing oil out of the chamber as you install the assembly - translation: it will have some resistance. If you tilt the chamber to about 5 degrees it will help a little. Go slow. The oil will eventually make it past the o-rings.

Other than the above, make sure the air is out and inspect the o-rings and bearings. A bad [lose] o-ring will hang on the way in and cause problems.
    Official Lurker

• MDAHLBECK113

by MDAHLBECK113 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 am

riddler9 wrote:
    MDAHLBECK113 wrote:Okay i was able to fix my rebound screw problem. now i have one more problem. I took my inner chamber out to change the oil in there and it was a pain to get out. Then i pour fork oil in and pumped the rod to get the air out. Then i was going to put that spring assembly back into the chamber and i only got it like halfway in and the thing would not budge. i was trying for half an hour and i could not get that thing in there... and screwed in. Is there a special way to get it back in there? or a trick? i watched people do it on youtube and it slides all the way in for them no problem. Please help!

If the correct amount of oil is in the chamber, it will be pushing oil out of the chamber as you install the assembly - translation: it will have some resistance. If you tilt the chamber to about 5 degrees it will help a little. Go slow. The oil will eventually make it past the o-rings.

Other than the above, make sure the air is out and inspect the o-rings and bearings. A bad [lose] o-ring will hang on the way in and cause problems.

okay thanks for your help, ill try it
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 am

Great write up. One comment...you should tighten and torque the lock nut against the fork cap screw, not the fork cap screw against the lock nut. To do this, you'll need a crowfoot.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • mossman77

by mossman77 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 am

Great write up. One comment...you should tighten and torque the lock nut against the fork center bolt, not the fork bolt against the lock nut. To do this, you'll need a crowfoot.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)
  • bigtoe250

Re: How to: Honda CRF Showa Fork rebuild seals and oil change

by bigtoe250 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:15 am

Hi guys, great instructions. Was able to change seals easily. Is there a process for getting trapped air out? Just go ride and bleed the air?
    Question please: Is there a way to check the fork oil level while the 2004 crf 250x forks are together? Insert a rod down in to the bleeder screw hole? If so, what should be the distance from top or fork to fork oil? Thank you!!