Moderate rider– CRF250L RALLY Suspension recommendations needed
  • r4eshaddict

Moderate rider– CRF250L RALLY Suspension recommendations needed

by r4eshaddict » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm looking for some recommendations for which direction to take my suspension on a 2018 CRF250L RALLY.
    The bike is only a couple years old with about 2,500 miles on it and already the front fork seals have failed and leaked out all the oil. Thus I need to replace seals. As a part of that process, I figured this is the best opportunity to re-evaluate the bike's suspension.

I've always felt the bike to be a cloud– very soft– very spongy on the stock setup. That all said– I'm a fairly new rider– with not a lot of experience offroad- and may not be the best judge. I'm not riding anything crazy or technical. Not racing, not doing jumps, etc. Just light adventuring on some dirt trails (not single track), and service roads to "get out of town". I'm 6'2" and weigh about 175lbs. I have a friend with an older (2010ish) 250L and my other buddy's (2019) Husquvarna 350 and BOTH bikes just felt a lot more planted to me. They were both more rigid. Very different riding experience, but I felt more confident with more feedback from the trail.

I've been reading endless and getting mixed feedback. It is difficult to decipher all the opinions out there and what kind of riding those individuals are doing etc. So I'm looking for input based on the considerations to my height, weight, and riding I'm doing.

Should I just reseal my forks and stick with the stock setup? Should I move to Racetechs? IF so which specifically?

I appreciate you taking the time to read through this and your expertise.
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Moderate rider– CRF250L RALLY Suspension recommendations needed

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:29 pm

I would think by your weight the standard springs would not keep up.
    If you have a look in the shop section for your model and year for upgrades to suspension. Uses racetech components but includes a few extras.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas