Supension suggestions
  • 19Nova72

Supension suggestions

by 19Nova72 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi, I have a 2010 CRF450R that I ride mostly on trails but I like to jump off of anything I can find, and I feel this bike is setup way to stiff for me. I am only 150lbs. The front forks are rebuilt to stock specs. The rear coil spring that came with the bike is a RaceTech 311275 RSP-652652. Do I need to put a stock spring back on this bike or should I buy a custom one? Also, where would you recommend setting the shock adjustment settings? Thanks!
    JimDirt

Re: Supension suggestions

by JimDirt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The springs you have are too stiff for your weight , the shock spring is close (its a 5.2 , but you should have a 5.0 , if those are the stock fork springs then they are 0.47 and you need around a 0.41 (stock shock would be a 5.4 , what you want to do is try to find some springs for a CRF250R as they will be about right for your weight (they must be off a year that has 48mm forks , not 47mm like prior years , as 47mm springs will be too small in diameter and will not fit **this is not the same 47 as the spring rate *0.47*, that is different**) , the only other way to "soften" the bike up is either turning the compression (top) clicker on the forks OUT a few clicks till it feels a little more comfortable (if its at 12 then go to 16) do the same for the screw on the shock (top) not the hex head , just the slotted screw , set it about the same , that will get you a little more comfort till you can get the springs handled (EBay alway has stock take-offs cheap) , for off-road , I tend to prefer a slightly stiffer than recommended rate (like 1 size stiffer) because usually when gearing up for off-road , you usually have a backpack full of stuff(drinks,snacks ,tools ,etc.) and that adds to your overall weight , so I recommend a rate up from recommended for your weight , which is why I think the 250R springs would be about right , as they are 0.45 on the fork and the shock is a 5.2 , so the shock spring you currently have should work if you carry a backpack full of stuff (weigh it , it probably weighs about 10+ lbs)

You did not mention your riding level/skill , as that makes a difference on spring rate , the faster you are the stiffer you use , especially when jumping ...... Valving would also help if your main riding is off-road/trails , you can have (or do it yourself if you are decently mechanically inclined **I can help guide you with doing it , if that is the route you choose**) as that will make a huge difference in plushness , much more than springs and clickers alone can do .... But overall the R valving/suspension is made for MX/SX and will beat you up trail riding unless you are really fast , and even then you will still get a lot of deflection from rocks and ruts , etc. , so If the goal is to keep this bike and ride off-road , the suspension "should" be revalved as well as re-sprung ...... , but definitely the fork springs are too stiff for your weight by 2 sizes , so that will help , then you can go from there ... you can also slide the forks up in the clamps a bit , it will put more weight on the front and soften the ride a little , if the forks are flush with the clamps it will tend to be light in the front which will translate to stiffer and more deflection

Hope that helped ... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • 19Nova72

by 19Nova72 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Wow, that was a lot of information! I'm not a begginer but I would say intermediate. I haven't done much tuning on the bike since I bought it. I built custom cars professionally for many years so I should be able to figure things out mechanically, I just wanted some guidance from someone with experience in terms of setting up the suspension. I've been going to the dunes a bit and I'm getting braver with jumping it. Still trying to figure out where to put my body weight when I leave the jump. I thought maybe getting the suspension setup correctly would help.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Jumping stance basically depends on the jump face and area leading up to it , for example a short steep cupped ramp will need some finesse as the cup will compress your suspension , but it can also unload the suspension as you reach the top , which can lead to a endo , or a kick , but generally a neutral position is best to get off the face on a long flat ramp (like a dune) but throttle control goes along with it , if you even slightly let off (with a 4 stroke as opposed to a 2 stroke this is most noticeable and has the most effect) it will not only change the attitude in the air , but it will also most likely lead to a nose dive , so constant throttle input is critical , also you can seat bounce , either slightly or dramatically depending on the jump face and speed , but again , throttle input affects this dramatically .......... with that said , there are plenty more qualified than I am to give you jumping advice , but the main thing is commitment and confidence , short jumping can be just as brutal as over jumping , and always be on the gas just before landing , this will help smoothen/soften the landing , as the suspension will compress much more when off the gas than it will when you are accelerating and forward momentum is displacing the loads on the bike , kind of like skipping a rock across the pond , if it has momentum , it goes a long way , if it is at more of a downwards angle without the forward momentum , it hits the pond and almost stops where it hits and sinks .... follow ??

If you are getting big air , I would recommend keeping the stiffer springs as it will keep you from bottoming on the large hits/landings , downside is as you were experiencing , harshness , so like I mentioned before , there is always a compromise ....you need to decide what is more important , big air , or comfort , as the 2 are complete opposites and are about impossible to get both together , or to set up the bike to do both well , one will be ok or uncomfortable , the other will be great .... that part is up to you ..... you can only do so much , its either comfort or impact resistance ,,, when you watch the pros on a SX or even MX track and you see them hucking huge gaps and landing like a pillow is under their tires , if you got on one of their bikes and rode it , it would be like riding a pogo stick and your teeth would be second guessing whether to remain in your mouth or rattle out taking part of your tongue with them...................... food for thought .............. :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho