Set up 06 CRF250X for short petite wife
  • Dan Diego

Set up 06 CRF250X for short petite wife

by Dan Diego » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:36 pm

I just bought a 05 CRF250X for my wife. She is moving up from a crf150. The previous owner of the 250X was a big guy and he installed heavier fork springs and heavier shock spring. Nice thing is that he saved old springs so I can return it to factory set up. Great, except my wife is 5'4" and 125 lbs. I am not a suspension tech but it seems that a softer than factory setup will improve her riding experience. I plan to lower the bike with a devol lowering link and also shaving the seat. The factory fork springs are .42. The owners manual recommends .40 fork springs for a softer ride. Will the length be the same or not matter? (the heavy duty spring I removed was ~1/2" shorter than the factory spring).Should I change the rear shock spring to something softer as well?
    JimDirt

Re: Set up 06 CRF250X for short petite wife

by JimDirt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:45 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The springs are mainly to hold the bike up in the stroke for the riders weight , until you get into the Pro class racing , then its used to help absorb huge jumps and the much faster pace they ride at , so Pro level riders will usually use 1 rate stiffer spring than their weight requires ........... But in your case you want a spring based off weight , not comfort , as softer does not always mean more comfortable if the suspension is partially compressed all the time , then it starts out in a stiffer part of the stroke and can be a harsher ride than a stiffer spring would be for the same weight rider , you do revalving for plushness and spring to keep the bike up in the stroke so the suspension is working as it should , when it should , .... hopefully that makes sense ........ with that said .....

For your wife's weight , you would want 0.38 fork springs and a 4.8 shock spring , you could go down to a 4.6 shock spring , but for stability , its best to keep the springs balanced front to rear ,(for example , I run 0.48/5.8 for my 450) , if you squat the rear too much , it will cause handling issues , like pushing , etc. , basically making the bike handle like a chopper , which are not known for comfort nor handling , as far as spring length , its usually a manufacturer specific thing , each manufacturer will have springs slightly longer/shorter than OEM based on how they manufacture , and I would not recommend cutting springs to try to give comfort , it will cause more issues than you think it will help ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Dan Diego

by Dan Diego » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for the explanation. I will go with the .38 up front as you suggest. The factory shock spring is 4.8 so will try that. I have seen suggestions elsewhere to adjust the rear spring to lower the seat height. I understand that proper sag would be sacrificed. I suspect that the rear shock will also be stiff and sacrifice some travel. Keeping in mind that I am looking the best experience overall for my wife, does it make sense to go with the 4.6 shock spring and adjust it for a lower seat height?
  • Dan Diego

by Dan Diego » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for the explanation. I will go with the .38 fork springs as you suggest.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm

You can also adjust the clickers to help with comfort , adjust the compression , but not the rebound for now (compression is on top of the forks and at the top of the shock on the side tank , the High Speed nut (14mm wrench , High Speed refers to the speed of the shock shaft , not the bike speed) will lower the rear slightly and also soften the rear a bit , turn it all the way in , counting the turns (it should be around 2-1/2 turns out) till it lightly bottoms , then turn it out about 3-1/2 turns , then go to the low speed compression clicker (the screwdriver slot inside the 14mm High Speed nut) and turn it all the way in counting the clicks till it lightly seats/stops (it will most likely be around 12 clicks out) , then turn it out (counting each click) about 14-16 clicks , this will be close to its limit

Doing this along with going to the lighter springs , should help dramatically with the feel/comfort , about the only way to get more comfort , would be to have the suspension revalved for a plusher ride , you could also get a Kouba Link , it will lower the rear even more , and then slide the forks UP in the clamps about 6mm , this will lower it even further .....the only issue with shaving the seat , is it will have less foam , so it will actually be stiffer and less comfortable , shaving a inch or so out is fine , but any more than that , and you compromise comfort too much ............... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Dan Diego

by Dan Diego » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:33 pm

I am in the process of installing the new springs and have run into a problem. I have replaced seals on different bike but not a wealth of experience at this. After installing new seal and dust cap on lower tube, my problem is evident. I am unable to connect the bottom tube to the top as the damper rod will not stay extended. If i extend the damper rod fully by hand, once released, it will contract to about 5" between the chamber and the threaded end.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:42 pm

OK , what you have is in the Inner Cartridge , where the Valving is , is a seal , that seal has gone bad (its a common occurrence) , the oil in the Inner Chamber is now bleeding out into the main Outer Chamber/fork tube .... The only way to remedy this is to disassemble the Inner Cartridge and replace the seal , it is a tedious project , but if you have decent mechanical skills I can walk you thru the process if you wish to undertake it , if not , the only option is a Suspension Shop (not sure I would want a Dealer to do this as most of the Dealer mechanics are not suspension tech's , and have most likely never done it , and they would charge a arm and both legs to do it, and most likely do it wrong) , so you would be better off finding a local Suspension Shop and have them do it , the seal itself is about $20 , and if one has gone , the other side will soon , so its best to do both , that way its done and over with , so $40-$45 for the seals , then Labor to replace them

Unfortunately , that is the only way , unless you want to replace the Fork Cap Assembly , which from Honda is about $90

It is part # 15 on this list http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/yel ... 20ABSORBER

The actual seal is located within that part, so all you would have to do is remove the old one , fill the chamber with the correct amount of Fork Oil (in your case it would be 192cm/cc or 6.6 oz.) , then bleed it and reassemble everything and you're done

The seal (your Cap Assembly may vary slightly from this picture) will be where the arrow is in this picture (it will be inside the Piston , its not the O-Ring on the outside)

If you would like a walk thru on the replacement , let me know , I will guide you thru it ,if its too much to take on , then do the shop as I suggested , If you choose to do it you will need some specialty tools (I made mine) to do this

Special Holder Wrench:

These help as well , (I ground a round groove so it holds the shaft easier , if you do not want to make the Special Holder Wrench , but it does not work as well as the wrench does)

I also took a 13mm Open End Wrench and ground the head down thinner , so its not as wide to fit in between the Pressure Spring

If you have the Honda Owners Manual , it will not show you the bleeding process , and even the Factory Honda Service Manual will not show you how to disassemble the Fork Cap Assembly to replace the seal , but it will at least show you how to bleed the Cartridge
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Our Jim sure knows his suspension! =DD Jim, you should start an online suspension business. 8)
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Dan Diego

by Dan Diego » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Jim,

Thanks for information. I found a youtube video (Showa ICS and damper rod seal replacement) that shows the disassembly from a first-timer. Between the video and the pictures of your tool mods, I think I can do this. I was looking up parts on racetech.com. I found two seals for the twin chamber. A reservoir rod shaft seal and a damping rod shaft seal. Would you recommend changing both seals? And the O-ring?
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Hold on Neil I thought that is what Jim was already doing. Doesn’t Ken have him on retainer, LOL.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

LOL , just helping fellow dirt bikers out , ain't that what this place is about ?? ..... A retainer ?? , Isn't that what keeps your teeth straight ?? , I knew a girl that wore one :mrgreen: ... And at least I learnded something out of life .... :-$ .... Besides , this is how I figured this stuff out ;) ... more or less ....

Dan Diego .... Yes , both seals (left fork/right fork) , because since you have it apart , its worth the extra effort to do both and be done with it , unless you're racing (or your wife) , you would not know the other side went bad aside from finding yourself adjusting the clickers all the time to compensate for the harshness that you will feel when it is leaking all the oil out into the outer chamber , which will increase the oil level in one leg and unbalance the suspension , as well as eliminate the oil in the inner chamber which kind of renders the valving useless leading to the suspension basically only working off the springs , and you would not know until you tear it down (like you did) that its the cartridge leaking causing all the handling issues , the O-Ring , you can replace if you like , but its not necessary , and you can save it for when you do a winter tear down , and replace the Bushings , etc. , if your fork oil is gray then the Bushings are getting worn , so doing a winter service which includes Bushings and a thorough internal cleaning , this will give you a fresh set of boingers for the spring ....

If you have any more questions ....just ask , its better to ask a dumb question , than to make a dumb mistake ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Dan Diego

by Dan Diego » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:31 am

Jim,

Thanks for your assistance. I replaced the fork damper seals and dialed the suspension per your recommendations. We are riding next weekend. Cannot wait. Thanks again.

Cheers!
    Dan
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:44 am

No problem glad I could help .... If you have any issues or questions , just ask .... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • crenninger

by crenninger » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:29 am

Hi,
    I found this thread and I am in the same configuration for my 14y old son. ~125lbs 5'4
    I lowered the bike suspensions internally 2" with race tech spacers, had the fork "groove" machined 2" higher and kept the same stock spring. Rear I have 85mm rider sag so I think I am good for the spring.

Through the thread I saw clickers settings for the shock.
    3-1/2 turn for high comp
    14-16 clicks for slow comp

What about the rebound?

and what about the forks?

Any advice would be very welcome.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:24 pm

crenninger

The rebound you can go with the stock settings and should be OK , if you are getting any sideways kicks or nose over kicks , then I would worry about the rebound altered from stock settings , but it should be fairly close at stock settings to work , though softening compression does affect rebound , it won't be significant , since you are adjusting the compression for comfort and for height , so the rebound is not going to come into play until it is jumped or ridden fairly fast on rough terrain , then you would adjust it the same as the manual would suggest to either slow or speed up the rebound for given terrain or conditions ........ your basic concern is .... when going over the terrain you are riding , that the bike does not do anything "unexpected" , so if you came over a bump and the rear kicked or something like that , then you worry about the rebound , or if the fork bounced unexpectedly when the front wheel became airborne over a bump or something and it made the bike bounce and dart all over , then you need to adjust , but as the manual says , depending on what the bike actually does for the specific event , as that is how fast the shock/fork return to fully extended , so you don't want it so fast it will send the rear or front in the air , but you don't want it so slow that it bounces the rear tire over every little bump or rough spot because it is going to slow to react to the next bump or the fork is feeling unstable in corners .... etc. , the adjusting is always terrain/conditions specific ....

As far as the fork goes ,(rebound) same applies as the shock , .... the issue with lowering is it changes the way the valving works , because you have less overall stroke than what fully extended suspension would give , so you are not going to get the exact same function or reaction as if it were fully extending/non limited , , so for racing its not so great , you lose some performance by lowering , its always a compromise ....... , but you can adjust and get a compromise and get it to work decent under most conditions , but shorter suspension has its limitations ..... , so once you set the rebound to work for the conditions you are riding , you can soften or stiffen the compression and it should be ok ...... to a point ..... if you went all the way in or out on compression , it would affect the speed the rebound works enough that you would have to compensate for the change ..... hope that helps .... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho