slop between forks and bearings?
  • stan3535

slop between forks and bearings?

by stan3535 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 am

So when I compress my front forks on my crf250x to get the right fork to align before tightening the right side...The fork wants to end up sliding out from hub on the axle and leaving excessive side play. I have all new bearings. Has anyone ever heard of a bent triple clamp? Or any help? thanks!
  • Back2-2

Re: slop between forks and bearings?

by Back2-2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am

Hello, I am not sure I understand what you are describing? No I do not think you have a bent triple clamp. It would be virtually impossible to bend a triple clamp without it cracking. It is forged aluminum.

I need to understand what you are doing to be any assistance. Here is basic a procedure to help with tightening the front wheel assy. on virtually any motorcycle. This is from a Triumph manual.

Not sure if that is what you are asking so let us know if you need anything further.

Procedure when replacing the front wheel:
    1.- Fit washer and nut to the spindle and hand tighten
    2.- Slide the caliper into position ensuring the pads pass either side of the disc and tighten fixing bolts to 28Nm.
    3.- Operate front brake a few times to ensure pads are in firm contact with the disc.
    4.- Lower the bike to the ground and park on the side stand.
    5.- For models with cable driven speedometer: Ensure the drive tag is tight against the rear of the lug on the left fork.
    6.- Tighten spindle nut to 60Nm
    7.-For models with cable driven speedometer: Reconnect cable to the speedometer drive and tighten the securing screw.
    8.- Pump the front forks a few times to settle them in position and finally tighten the spindle clamp bolt to 27Nm.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 am

So when I compress my front forks on my crf250x to get the right fork to align before tightening the right side...The fork wants to end up sliding out from hub on the axle and leaving excessive side play. I have all new bearings. Has anyone ever heard of a bent triple clamp? Or any help? thanks!

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

As Neil mentioned , you need to explain a little clearer as to what is going on , are you saying 1 leg is lower than the other ?? , or is the gap from side to side wider than it should be ?? , is the center of the fender inline with the center of the tire ?? , we need more specifics to evaluate what the issue may be , pictures would be helpful if possible , you would need a hosting site for the pictures like IMGUR or Photobucket (Photobucket charges now to host pictures posted on forums) or similar, then copy the image code into your post and it will show up

But we need more specifics as to what your having a issue with to be of any help .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • stan3535

by stan3535 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Hey Jim,
    I am saying there is a gap from side to side wider than it should be. It looks like I would need a wider spacer but this couldn't be because everything is stock?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:03 am

Hey Jim,
    I am saying there is a gap from side to side wider than it should be. It looks like I would need a wider spacer but this couldn't be because everything is stock?
    What it sounds like then , is you do not have the axle in far enough , on the opposite side of the brake , it should be flush with the lug .... OR..... The Speedo Drive is not fully seated

Look at the image below , note how the axle is set in the lug , that is your "collar" , so if its not in all the way , you will have a gap once the wheel is centered , also VERY IMPORTANT , make sure the Speedo drive is installed all the way , it has tabs that lock it into place , if its not in far enough , nothing will sit correctly , you should be able to move it around (with the wheel off) and it should sit in place , you can remove it and look at the notches and match it to where the notch is on the hub , then install it and it should drop into place , i am thinking this is what your issue is
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • stan3535

by stan3535 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 am

Hey Jim.
    Well so I pulled the axle in to the lug deeper this time and then when I compressed the fork to seat the right side it seemed to work out much better. But I will have to admit...It makes no sense to me ;) I thought that was the purpose of compressing the fork. To align the fork with the other one? But thanks for all your help!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am

Hey Jim.
    Well so I pulled the axle in to the lug deeper this time and then when I compressed the fork to seat the right side it seemed to work out much better. But I will have to admit...It makes no sense to me ;) I thought that was the purpose of compressing the fork. To align the fork with the other one? But thanks for all your help!

The process IS to help seat the axle , what I would also add , is to pump up the brake as well , as when the wheel is removed it will allow the pads to spread , this "can" offset the wheel slightly because it can move side to side with the pads gapped , what I do is pump the brake lever till it pumps up the pressure and the brakes grab , then grab the front tire and spin it fairly hard , then grab a handful of brake and the tire should slam to a stop , do this a couple of times , THEN loosen the right fork lug and usually the axle will move into the lug a bit , then tighten/torque the lugs , what this will ensure is the wheel is centered in the forks , then you can complete the centering of the axle , but do not just tighten the lugs without this procedure or you may still be off , this eliminates any discrepancy that everything is where it needs to be before tightening stuff completely ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho