Leaky seals, add how much oil...?
    PhatFireMan

Leaky seals, add how much oil...?

by PhatFireMan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:18 pm

So one fork seal is leaking.

If I clean out the debris causing the leak, by using film or whatever, and choose not to replace the seals...

How do I replace the oil that leaked out? Can I just add it through the top? How do I measure it correctly?

Or...is it best to just bite the bullet and do the seal replacement?

The last thing I want is for the same seal to leak again, next time I am WAY out there, cause I left some dirt inside.

Thanks guys. 8)
    JAWS

by JAWS » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Pull the dust seal down and run the film or a .005 feeler guage around the fork seal a few times and see. I wouldn't worry about the oil that leaked unless it was a huge amnt. Most leaks look much worse than they actually are. I have had to clean my seals several time sucessfully. It's worth a try. If your leak doesn't stop, then consider a replacement. You will change the fluid at that time anyway.

Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    PhatFireMan

by PhatFireMan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:14 am

JAWS wrote:Pull the dust seal down and run the film or a .005 feeler guage around the fork seal a few times and see. I wouldn't worry about the oil that leaked unless it was a huge amnt. Most leaks look much worse than they actually are. I have had to clean my seals several time sucessfully. It's worth a try. If your leak doesn't stop, then consider a replacement. You will change the fluid at that time anyway.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I should have also mentioned that the leak occurred while the back was tied-down in the back of my pickup. I don't "crank down" the straps when I load it up, to avoid fork seal damage. But it had been there for two days, and it left a small puddle's worth of oil. Plus, the forks are REAL soft now.

So I am guessing that I lost the majority of oil from that left fork. :( Crap.
    gks1966

by gks1966 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:31 am

Hey PhatFireMan,

I had the same problem a month or so ago and followed Smash's "How To" Sticky. I actually replaced both seals and is was alot easier than expected. However, if you've cleaned out the debris and your seals are still good, merely removing the forks, draining and replacing the oil, and re-installing is a no-brainer job that should take less than an hour. The manual suggests periodic shock oil changes, and this will ensure your levels are on the money.

Good luck...George
    George
    Portland, OR
    PhatFireMan

by PhatFireMan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

RaceTech did my suspension about 9 months ago, and I realized that I can't remember what brand/weight oil they put in.

So I guess changing the oil in both forks will be necessary reagrdless of the seals. I've got gold valves, any ideas on oil? I get Torco products at cost, their fork oil any good?

I've seen the trick of using film or similar to work out whatever foreign body is causing the leak, but have never had to do it myself. Is the goal to push the dirt up past the seal or get it down and out. Cause I would hate to force any junk into the fork itself. I need reliability here.

Thanks!
    gks1966

by gks1966 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:33 pm

You want to use the film to pull any debris out of the seal and fork leg. Once you insert the film, tilt it at a slight angle with the top end in the fork providing a leading edge...work the film around the fork leg a full 360+ degrees and then remove keeping the angle so any debris that the film collected comes out. Alot of CRF's have had good luck with the film strip cleaning and correcting the leak. I had a substantial amount of crap in my seal and decided to do the entire break-down and seal replacement to play it safe.

As for the oil, I've stuck with stock Honda products, but the guys on this forum know a heck of alot more than I do and can give you good advise of the quality and recommendations of other products.

George
    George
    Portland, OR
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:40 pm

You might also call RaceTech for their recommendations.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
  • cbutler

by cbutler » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:46 pm

PhatFireMan wrote:
    JAWS wrote:Pull the dust seal down and run the film or a .005 feeler guage around the fork seal a few times and see. I wouldn't worry about the oil that leaked unless it was a huge amnt. Most leaks look much worse than they actually are. I have had to clean my seals several time sucessfully. It's worth a try. If your leak doesn't stop, then consider a replacement. You will change the fluid at that time anyway.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

occur should have also mentioned that the leak red while the back was tied-down in the back of my pickup. I don't "crank down" the straps when I load it up, to avoid fork seal damage. But it had been there for two days, and it left a small puddle'sa worth of oil. Plus, the forks are REAL soft now.

So I am guessing that I lost the majority of oil from that left fork. :( Crap.

You should use some type of fork support MSR,ACERBIS or go redneck with a piece of PVC OR 2X4
    gks1966

by gks1966 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:12 pm

After blowing my seal I invested in a Suspension Saver for $15.00. Did some mods to it with zip-ties and bungee cords to secure it in place via the forks to ensure it does not slip out when hauling the bike--I'll post a picture tonight. I also purchased some Dirt Skin seal savers and wrapped them around the sleeve where the lower fork leg inserts to the upper. So far no oil leak issues.

~ also turned me on to speed bleed air valves to replace my bleed screws at the top of the forks. Two minute install...they look bling...and I'm amazed at how much air pressure builds up in the forks after a long days ride. Releasing that air pressure will also help to ensure the seals don't blow.

George
    George
    Portland, OR
  • crf861

by crf861 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:20 am

You should just change the seals when they begin to leak. You need to change both!

Reason being is that the TwinChamber forks are very sensitive to oil levels. If you have different than the other from a leak, you could have some weird handling issues. ALso if you let the outer chamber go dry, you will tear up the fork bushings. The coatings on them will just peel right off the brass.

This is a good link for oil levels:

http://www.tech-care.com/suspension/hon ... ttings.htm

And as suggested air bleeders are great additions!
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:55 am

Consider using SealSavers also ( www.sealsavers.com ) I have used them on all of our bikes and I think they make a difference. They're only downfall is if you ride in real snotty, sticky, deep mud. The mud can tend to get up inside the sealsaver. The more mud, the more packing, the more likely something will get "pushed" up into the seals. On rides like that, I just flip the seal savers up so that the mud doesn't just keep packing in.

I re-workd my suspension with new springs when I first got the bike last year. Re-used the original seals and haven't had a leak yet.

Again, just something to think about...
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    A-47753 (Jumpin' dirt and clouds!)
    Proud member of the Hamster Nation!