Alpinestar tech3
    mxracer76

by mxracer76 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 am

MB23, I have 3 pairs of Tech8"s. Pair of black and a pair of whites that are about 8 years old and a pair of whites that are 2 years old. Both 8 year old pairs are holding up better than the newer pair and the older ones are way more comfortable too!

I understand that the Tech3's are a lower end boot and I am not comparing apples to oranges. Simply put, every boot from Alpinestars has dropped in quality.

Another example is a friend of mine has had an older set of Tech3's for a quite a few years and loves them. He finally decided to spend some money and get a new set of Tech7's. He hates them and went back to wearing his old Tech3"s.

No matter which way you look at it, once a company cares more about profit than quality, quality goes down!
    MattBennett23

by MattBennett23 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:41 pm

True, the quality may have gone down some, but they still make a damn fine boot. I enjoy mine quite a bit. Even if they arent what they once were, they are still quality, especially for their price point. I dont care how much a company pays to sponsor professional athletes, when you see more than half of them wearing a piece of safety equipment made by one brand, and trusting their bodies and professional livelihoods to one brand, it says something about quality...
    MattBennett23

by MattBennett23 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 pm

SG-10 $425
    SG-12 $530
    GX-1 $207

Tech 3 $220
    Tech 7 $350

Looks pretty apples to oranges to me... Comparing the Tech 3 to the SG-10 or 12 is a whole different price range... The GX-1 to tech 3 comparison is fair, but the others are just silly...

(All prices from www.motorcycle-superstore.com)
    mxracer76

by mxracer76 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:46 am

Ok, I dont think anywhere did I compare a lower priced boot to a higher priced boot, if you read it again, I did say that "ALL" A-Star boots have dropped in quality. Secondly, I never once said that A-Stars are crap, again, I said that they have dropped in quality. They are still a good quality boot, just not as good as they use too be.

Finally, if you think that professional athletes wont wear something just because they dont like it then you know absolutely nothing about the racing industry!

I will agree that if a racer thinks something is completely unsafe and they will get hurt using something, of course they wont use it!

Even the TOP PROS dont get to choose what they want! For example, James Stewart does not like Pirelli tires but that is his sponsor and he is forced to use them. Jeremy Albrecht got into alot of trouble from Pirelli for putting Dunlops on Stewart bike for practice. So much so that he had to make a public apology to Pirelli.

And look at Christophe Pourcel, he has stated before that Yamaha is the worst handling bikes he has ever ridden but when nobody would give him the money he wanted and Yamaha was the closest, thats what he rode.

Even pro racers use and run what is given to them for free. If not, it comes out of their own pockets.
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Picked up new boots for my son in Jan. He tried on everything and he decided on the Tech 3. Said it was the most comfortable in the <$400 range. So far he is Very happy with them. He does not race, but rides some pretty nasty trails.

I was a little concerned about the boot initially. They seem fairly stable in the ankle region, else I would not have let him get them at all. The buckles are cr@p, but otherwise I see them as a 1 to maybe 2 season purchase. He was in a TCX 2 before this purchase.

I also switched out of my TCX's this weekend - went to the Sidi Crossfire TA. Time will tell, but so far I am looking forward to many days of happy feet.
    Official Lurker