Alpinestar tech3
    socalnathan

Alpinestar tech3

by socalnathan » Sat May 08, 2010 9:45 am

DO NOT BUY!!! One ride on them and a buckle broke. Not to mention my boot hit the peg when kicking bike over a couple time and it ripped the boot apart. what a waist of money. I hope the store takes these back
  • redrooster65

by redrooster65 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:34 am

Yea, the made in China Alpinestars are a far cry from the older ones that were still made in Italy.

After 12 loyal years from my tech 8's I opted for some new ones. The uppers are more hammered after a year than the previous ones were after 10.

On a positive note they did repair the torn off buckle mount under warranty, I just hope they hold up.
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Sat May 08, 2010 11:49 am

I just want the store to take them back. If they cant hold up for one ride then you know they are crap.
    woodsman

by woodsman » Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 pm

If you can swing the coin, look for Gaernes or Sidi's. My Gaerne SG10's have held up ridiculously well for 3 years so far.
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 pm

If I can get the store to take back these crappy Alpinestars I am going with the Gaernes for sure. Just need to dump the china crap first
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Tue May 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Ok, ordered the Gaerne GX-1 today. will let you all know what I think once I get them
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Sun May 16, 2010 12:50 pm

The Gaerne GX-1 boots are about 1000times better then those crappy Tech 3s. They are still built in italy and actually look and feel like a real quality riding boot. So comfortable from the second I put them on. I cant wait to get a ride in on them. If you need a great boot at a great price point I would suggest these 100%
  • johnmarshel

by johnmarshel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am

socalnathan wrote:The Gaerne GX-1 boots are about 1000times better then those crappy Tech 3s. They are still built in italy and actually look and feel like a real quality riding boot. So comfortable from the second I put them on. I cant wait to get a ride in on them. If you need a great boot at a great price point I would suggest these 100%

Here you tell that Gaerne GX-1 boots is really good and it's good and comfort riding boot,I think this is really good and you satisfied with 100% that's good and nice to share with all other people that help all of them.
  • Ryan Obert

by Ryan Obert » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:38 pm

if you have the money to drop on the gaerne SG-12's DO! best boot ive ever worn! ZERO break in time. and they are also worn by the super awsome Kevin Windham.
  • Medic203

by Medic203 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:04 pm

redrooster65 wrote:Yea, the made in China Alpinestars are a far cry from the older ones that were still made in Italy.

After 12 loyal years from my tech 8's I opted for some new ones. The uppers are more hammered after a year than the previous ones were after 10.

On a positive note they did repair the torn off buckle mount under warranty, I just hope they hold up.

Jez, it seems that the Alpinestars quality has decreased significantly. I am considering going with the new Tech 8 Lights, but maybe the Gaerne's are a better choice? Sheesh, so many options and price points out there. For the money, I just want a great boot that is comfortable, will last a bit, and still provides good protection.

Mike
    Mike
    Gilbert, AZ
    2012 CRF450R
    GB555

by GB555 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:07 pm

SG10's best boots ever made,

GB555
  • dirtae

by dirtae » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 pm

I ride the TCX comp 2 boot. Zero break-in time, great flex and lots of support and they feel tough as nails. Second year with them and they are holding up great, been drenched in water numerous times too, when cleaned up they do not show much wear. The soles seem tough too. I'll more than likely be buying TCX again.

Heard nothing but good things with gaerne too though.
    mxracer76

by mxracer76 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Not many businesses care about quality anymore. Its all about making the product for the absolute lowest cost at the same time as raising the price to maximize profit. All of this and still claiming that their product is great if not better than previous years.

Now look at the new Tech8 light boots. Technically they have lightened the boot by removing material. Less material means less cost to make. But did they lower the price? Of course not!

This might be a dumb comparison but it reminds me of when Kraft Foods introduced "Extra Creamy" Kraft Dinner. If you look closely all they did was put less pasta in the box!!! And they raised the price!!! Some a**hole actually came up with an idea to use less pasta to make it seem creamier and actually charge us more!

Not only does the Kraft save money by using less product, they trick us into paying more. And we all fell for it!!

So now back to A-Stars. Not only have they switched to having the child slaves of china make their boots for pennies, they now have found a way to save money buy using less material. All of this while raising the price because they are now "lighter and better"!

I have always been a die hard A stars fan but I dont think so anymore!
  • Medic203

by Medic203 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 am

mxracer76 wrote:Now look at the new Tech8 light boots. Technically they have lightened the boot by removing material. Less material means less cost to make. But did they lower the price? Of course not!

So now back to A-Stars. Not only have they switched to having the child slaves of china make their boots for pennies, they now have found a way to save money buy using less material. All of this while raising the price because they are now "lighter and better"!

I have always been a die hard A stars fan but I dont think so anymore!

I too have been an Astars fan for a long time, but on the street scene. I've had the same boots for a long time and they look and feel great. However, they are not subject to the dirt, dust, water, mud, etc that the dirt boots enjoy. Being newer to the dirt scene, I've come to realize that while Astars are still very popular, there are boots that are probably "better" for the same price point. For example, I can get the 2012 Gaerne SG-12 boots for the same price as the Tech 8's (my local Cyclegear will match online retailer prices). Reading some of the boards here as well as the reviews of both boots, it makes sense to get the "better" boot for the same price.

Thanks for the analogy 76! Puts things into an interesting perspective...
    Mike
    Gilbert, AZ
    2012 CRF450R
    MattBennett23

by MattBennett23 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:18 am

I have Alpinestars Tech 7 boots. Have had them for several years and love them. Best boots I've ever had. The Tech 3s are their lower end boot. Thats like taking a Ford Focus and saying its not as good as a corvette. At least compare a mustang so its closer to apples and apples rather than apples and oranges... You buy low end stuff of course its not going to be as good...

P.S. A Honda Crf50 is not as fast as a Kawasaki KX450 either in case you were wondering...