ProMoto Billet Kickstand Problem
  • markstephen

ProMoto Billet Kickstand Problem

by markstephen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Hello.
    I installed a new ProMoto Billet kickstand on a stock 2005 CRF450x. The installation was done exactly as recommended. The 450x has the original wheels, tires, and suspension. Compared to the original kickstand, the bike hardly leans when the billet kickstand is in use. If I am not careful the bike will easly tip over if bumped. I have to use caution when parking the bike now because of the risk of it falling over. Is this normal with other ProMoto kickstand users? Any suggestions on how to remedy this? There doesn't appear to be any adjustment possible on the kickstand? Thanks. Mark
    coljam

by coljam » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:01 pm

I am curious - why'd you feel the need to get rid of the stock side stand. I've got the same bike, and that isn't a mod I would have thought important.
  • markstephen

by markstephen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 am

Update: I contacted the ProMoto Billet company regarding the kickstand issue. The spokesperson stated he hadn't heard of this problem before. He suggested adjusting the suspension sag settings if necessary. He offered a refund if I return the kickstand. I may have to go back to the original stand but I like the billet one. I will see if the new stand can be slightly adjusted. At least ProMoto offered a no hassle return.

I installed their billet rear rack on CRF450x and it is top quality and looks appropriate. :)
  • markstephen

by markstephen » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:47 am

Update #2 Kickstand problem fixed. I had the kickstand shortened approximately 0.75 inch by a professional welding shop. The original end plate was re-welded at the proper angle. Now the kickstand works fine and the bike is safely tilted when parked. I still recommend this stand because it enhances the appearance, mainly because there is no external spring visible, and due to the general cleaner look aluminum provides. Also, there is no paint to scratch off as on the original stand. Overall it just gives a cleaner look to the bike.