CRF in the truck bed
  • aaron5s

CRF in the truck bed

by aaron5s » Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Does anyone have experience putting their CRF in the truck bed? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm planning to haul my bike using my F-150. Just looking for a good ramp to get my CRF up in the truck, and how to secure it. I like the idea of having a blue ox towing motorcycle sportsloader since it uses an electric motor, but I'm not sure if it will work with my bike. I've seen a carrier also that can be attached to a receiver hitch. Not sure if a carrier with 400lb capacity is enough or a 600lb is a lot better.
  • Back2-2

Re: CRF in the truck bed

by Back2-2 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 am

Hi, I really like my Fly 7 ft folding ramp for loading in the back of the truck. My truck is quite high so I have to use a milk crate for the step up to the bed. I also have one of those racks you put in the hitch and carry the bike cross the back - but I have never used it. I have had the 450 on it just to test it out & it seems fine. It is one of the Cycle Gear haulers that is 400 lb rated. Built really well but I did add a longer ramp due to my trucks height. Overall I still prefer to use my small cycle trailer for ease of use over loading in the back of the truck.
    Just my 2 cents - :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed May 31, 2017 7:23 am

Since i have a shell on my bed , and my truck is kind of low , i use a hitch carrier , i got it on eBay for about $85.00 new , i modified it slightly with better tie down points and added LED lights since with the bike on the back its hard to see the tail lights of the truck , its rated at 400 lbs and i have hauled my 450X on it which weighs around 285 lbs with no issues , but with hitch carriers i insist you use a Anti-Tilt-Anti-Wobble Device that kind of secures the insert into the receiver with bolts , it keep the bike from bouncing around as you go down the road https://www.google.com/#q=anti+tilt+hit ... t&tbm=shop , as anything inserted into your receiver will "wobble , with the attachment point in the center , the bike will wobble pretty bad , this almost completely eliminates that wobble , .... i also have a trailer i built that can haul several bikes , so i use that as well

As Neil mentioned , using a step of some kind that is stable so it does not go out from under you when you jump up on it , is a key factor when hauling in a lifted truck , the longer the ramp the better as it will ease the strain of pushing the bike UP and ease unloading as well , you could build a step out of wood or metal and even buy a pre-made double step out of the last issue of Dirt Bike magazine (it was in the "New Products" section)

As far as securing it in the bed , there are bars that go across the front rail that will help secure the tie downs , and there should be tie downs built into the bed that should hold a bike or a couple of them with no issues
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:27 am

Jim, good points ! I was always going to make one of those anti-shake devices and just forgot about it. Now I have a project.

Another thing on tie downs. I like those strap deals that go around the handle bars to keep from scratching the bars with the hooks on the tie downs. I also use the fork brake / block between the fender and front tire.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • aaron5s

by aaron5s » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks guys for replying. I'm thinking of putting a wheel chok also in the truck bed so that hauling my bike will be more stable.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Jim, good points ! I was always going to make one of those anti-shake devices and just forgot about it. Now I have a project.

Another thing on tie downs. I like those strap deals that go around the handle bars to keep from scratching the bars with the hooks on the tie downs. I also use the fork brake / block between the fender and front tire.
    Yea i use the "Soft Ties" myself , and the fork brace , it helps stabilize the bike so it does not bounce like it would with just tie downs holding it
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho