Gordon's Trail Tip #3
    Gordon

Gordon's Trail Tip #3

by Gordon » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:23 am

RUNNING OUT OF GAS

Scenario #1: "My buddy and I are both running on reserve, and neither of us have enough gas left to get back to the truck. What should we do?

Stop and shut off your engines immediately! Then transfer the gas from the hungrier bike to the tank of the other, and send the better rider for more gas. Even if that bike doesn't make it back to the truck, at least it will be a lot closer than you are now.

Scenario #2: "I've run out of gas, but I can't borrow any from my riding buddy because one bike is a two-stroke, and the other is a four-stroke. What should I do?"

Start using your head for something other than a helmet holder! A four-stroke engine will run just fine on two-stroke fuel, even though it may smoke a bit. If it's the two-stroke that needs fuel, borrow straight gas from the four-stroke, and then drain a little oil from an engine or transmission. For a good, safe, 40:1 gas/oil ratio, the two-stroke needs only one ounce of oil for a full quart of gas.

Scenario #3: "I'm out of gas, my riding buddy has plenty, but we've no way of transferring it from one bike to the other. What should we do?

You almost surely DO have a way of transferring gas from one bike to another, You just have to find it.
    1. Use your plastic bag.
    2. Look for discarded containers along the trail or nearby road.
    3. Can the bike with gas be positioned high enough beside the empty bike to drain fuel from the fuel line into the empty tank? Use a nearby log or rock to elevate the bike with gas, and then lean the empty bike over close to the fuel line of the donor bike.
    4. Does either bike have a long vent line on the gas cap that might help?
    5. Yeah, I know it's hilarious, but do either of you have a condom in your wallet?
    6. Can the tank be removed from the donor bike to hold it over the empty bike?
    7. Can the tank be removed from the empty bike to hold it under the fuel line of the donor bike?

Think and look! There's almost always a way to transfer gas from one bike to another.

Scenario #4: "I'm riding alone and I've run out of gas. What should I do?"

If you expect other riders to come along soon, sit, wait, and make up a good story that doesn't make you seem so stupid.

If you're really all alone (I'll refrain from calling you an idiot, but know at least that I'm thinking it!), then you have an immediate decision to make, based on your special circumstances:
    1. Should I leave my bike on the trail so that anyone who comes along will know someone's in trouble? (If you choose this option, then you should also leave your helmet on the trail, about 15-20 feet from the bike, in the same direction you walk away.)
    2. Should I hide my bike off the trail to prevent it from being stolen while I'm gone? If you know you can get gas and get back to the bike in a reasonable length of time, this could be your best bet.

Then start walking. Assuming you'll evntually find gas, how will you carry it back to your bike? If you carry a plastic bag on your trail rides, problem solved. A strong plastic trash bag is usually strong enough to carry a gallon of gas without splitting. If you don't have a bag, look for suitable discarded containers while you walk, such as plastic bottles of any kind, or even beverage cans. If you find gas and still have no container, then look for a store where you can buy a bottle of milk, bleach, or other suitable container... or some trash bags!

If you're worried about running a little short on gas before you even begin the ride, consider carrying an extra quart or two of fuel with you. Fill an empty oil bottle or two about 7/8 full, squeeze out the remaining air before tightening the cap, and then fasten the bottle to the top of a fender or anywhere out of your way. Duct tape works fine here. Then don't wait until you run low to use those extra bottles. As soon as you burn off enough fuel to leave room in the gas tank, pour in the contents of your extra bottle(s).

Scenario #5: "I'm out of gas and all alone in the desert or high in the mountains, at least 100 miles from the nearest gas. What should I do?"

Find a good sharp stick and a flat piece of ground where you can write your last will and testament in the dirt. And since you're not going to make it back to come after me, I'll go ahead and say it: "You dumbass!"
    Gordon Banks, Huntsville, AL
    2005 Honda Pilot Tow Car
    2005 Honda CRF450X w/Rekluse
    2005 Honda CRF250X w/Rekluse
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
    1997 Honda 300 4x4 w/Powroll Big Bore Kit
  • ev

by ev » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:52 am

I used to carry some yards of Repschnur very thin, strong cord, 3mm hold up to 900lb
    when my smoking buddy ran out of gas on a rallye I pulled his bike the rest of the way

when my XR died a friend pulled me all the way home a lot of highway miles

thank you for reminding me

a good + cheap way to carry your tools
    is to cut the tops of two quart oil cans
    and in the beginning with some bending and force
    shove one into the other

you then have a perfect gas-transfer canister, too
    motokid54

by motokid54 » Mon May 30, 2005 2:05 pm

heres an idea fill your bike up befor your ride, put a jerry can in truck and plan to drive by your truck toward the middle of the day, and I would never bum gas of someone
    '04 crf 150, msr dominator bars, cyrca stealth hand shields, renthaul full dimond grips, new tires, Twin air dual stage air filter, FMF power core 4 exhaust, uncorked air box, 13,50 gearing,non-o-ring competition chain, ebc brake shoes
  • Drunkard

by Drunkard » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:34 am

a handy tip: if on a really long ride allways carry a small flask of medicinal brandy, yes you heard me, brandy. we had a situation when we were in the desert and would have been cooked alive, so we poured the brandy in the tank and adjusted the carb, the bike spluttered a lot but it got us to our fuel supply, also if you fall you can use it to clean the wound(it helps stop the bleeding aswell) or if there is no possible way for you to get back at least you can get drunk one more time before you die