Gordon's Trail Tip #2
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:53 pm

if you never are really out in the woods 20+ miles or more from your staging area then you probably won't have an appreciation for having a trail-side emergency or mechnical problem that would prevent you from riding out. it's then that some tools and bailing wire become VERY important.

by Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:01 am

Yes, I'd have to agree. I need to start carrying a tool kit myself...

Was out riding this past Sunday, when I turned a corner and came to a stop along side of a fellow-rider pushing his dirt machine out of the woods. This thing was just one giant Suzuki. Is there such a thing as a 600cc class? I mean this thing just completely TOWERED over my 250x) . We exchanged hand shakes and names, and soon enough I learned that he had ridden into the trails from his home (about a 2-mile hike). His machine had quit on him, and this was no lightweight bike. He was just about out of breath from pushing, and needed to sit and rest. He was in his late 40's I'd say, which reminded me of my dad (55), whom I lost 2 years ago because he always ignored signs telling him to call it quits, and had a massive heart attack after shoveling out of a snowstorm.

I had no tools to offer this poor guy. In my defense, he didn't have his own tools either, but still... shame on me, a mechanic by trade. What's wrong with me!?! :oops: Here's this guy, simply in need of a plug wrench and I couldn't even offer that!

So maybe yet another reason to carry tools --you may never know how much good you could have done for someone if only you'd been prepared and could offer them.

Monkeywrench
    hondafan

by hondafan » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:46 pm

sorry to hear about the loss, but id bet he was a good man. CRFS is probably right about me not being out far enough to care but do any of you ride 20+ miles out?
    thats kinda scary.
    2008 crf 450

sold-2001 cr250, 2004 crf150, 2003 cr250, 1991 KX80, 2003 TT-R125
    Gordon

by Gordon » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:59 am

You're kidding, right? Although I'm probably NOT more than 8-10 miles from the trucks during most trail riding today, we have been well over 25 miles away, and in some places we've been at least 10-12 miles from the nearest road.

I assumed desert riders went even farther than that.
    Gordon Banks, Huntsville, AL
    2005 Honda Pilot Tow Car
    2005 Honda CRF450X w/Rekluse
    2005 Honda CRF250X w/Rekluse
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
    1997 Honda 300 4x4 w/Powroll Big Bore Kit
    motokid54

by motokid54 » Mon May 30, 2005 2:00 pm

sorry for the laate post but im new to website regarding the cluch lever doesnt any one know how to speed shift I picked this up in a matter of months... and im 15 :twisted:
    '04 crf 150, msr dominator bars, cyrca stealth hand shields, renthaul full dimond grips, new tires, Twin air dual stage air filter, FMF power core 4 exhaust, uncorked air box, 13,50 gearing,non-o-ring competition chain, ebc brake shoes
  • ev

by ev » Mon May 30, 2005 2:25 pm

what are you trying to tell us? that once you are rolling you do not need a shift lever? =D>
    now you only need to tell us how you get rolling if you do not have a lever or a hill to roll dow and not enough room to just rev high enough and kick in 2nd gear
    and then let's hope you are not on the kind of trails I love ...

oh btw, you can easily find out how often you REALLY need your clutch lever, just ride with a scattered metacarpus on your left hand ;)
    wakebuddy

by wakebuddy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:02 pm

Hello everyone, really enjoyed the thread and would like to add my two cents. A trick I learned about 15 years ago is that a small set of vise grips are golden on the trail. Most of the time when you break a lever you are left with a small section still attached to the perch. Often just enough to clamp the vise grips onto and magically your visegrips have morphed into a clutch lever! Its not pretty but it can get you out of jam.
    systemnt

by systemnt » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:31 am

Or.. you could carry a spare lever....
    2003 CRF450R (mine)
    2003 YZ250F (mine)
    2005 CRF230F (mine)
    1985 CR250R (mine)
    2004 YZ85R(kiddos)
    47cc GT Pocket Bike (38mph)
    47cc 'Cane Pocket Bike (46mph)
    1 large box of band-aids
    wakebuddy

by wakebuddy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:15 pm

Yes, but you can't open a nice cold bottle of beer after your ride, with a clutch lever! :P
  • EWP Zoul

by EWP Zoul » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:40 pm

Honda Fan,
    you stated that you pushed your bike back to the pits because of a broken clutch leaver....why not just start it in netural, push the bike to get a little speed than put into gear and hop on.
    As for carring stuff on a trail ride. I have a 450r and carry a smoker plug and wrinch, small plyers, spoke wrinch plus many other tools. I have never had to use them for myself (knock on wood) but I have pulled out wire fence twisted up in someones rear wheel once. I have no idea who he was, but he was glad I had tools with me. Better safe than sorry.
    EWP Zoul
    2004 CRF 450R #19
    Works skid plate
    1990 YZ250

If it ain't broke.....
    You are not riding it hard enough!!
    motokid54

by motokid54 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:50 pm

what are you trying to tell us? that once you are rolling you do not need a shift lever? =D>
    now you only need to tell us how you get rolling if you do not have a lever or a hill to roll dow and not enough room to just rev high enough and kick in 2nd gear
    and then let's hope you are not on the kind of trails I love ...
    yes that is what i am telling you. how is that for your sarcastic remark and you dont have to ride it hard but it beats pushing
    '04 crf 150, msr dominator bars, cyrca stealth hand shields, renthaul full dimond grips, new tires, Twin air dual stage air filter, FMF power core 4 exhaust, uncorked air box, 13,50 gearing,non-o-ring competition chain, ebc brake shoes
  • Drunkard

by Drunkard » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:23 am

hahah, some of these comments are so funny... try riding for 1 and a half days into the african bush, having a strap on your pack break and a spoke bend and not being able to fix it.. it happened once and never again... i now carry a leatherman tool, extremely handy and small, spoke spanner, an inflatable tiretube
    and a couple of zipties, trust me, if you are close enough to push your bike back from anywhere you havnt gone far enough to need help
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:43 am

Guys,

Lighten up(you know who you are)!!!

Carrying tools and a few bits and pieces is just common sense.

When riding remote if you don't carry enough to fix a flat or a broken chain your crazy.

I think pushing with a flat, especially the front would be near impossible.

I carry my tools, spares, water and munchies.

You don't have to put it all in a bumbag, there are ways to attach it to fenders etc, and a 21inch tube will fit in an 18 inch tyre well enough to get home.

And as far as clutch levers go carry a lever and a perch.
    My son wished he had last weekend, it broken right through the pivot after blowing out the back of a berm.

Fortunately it stayed together enough to get back, only to run out of fuel 100yards from camp.

He didn't see the funny side at all.

Yes a A$12 part that weights nothing can really stuff your whole weekend especially when dad says it's worth a few six packs of coldies.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    Eric Mac

by Eric Mac » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Yes, but you can't open a nice cold bottle of beer after your ride, with a clutch lever!

Wanna bet?
    $1500 worth of mods to realize I cant buy skill!
  • rnyjohnson

by rnyjohnson » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:34 pm

it was'nt till i read this that i thought to ask my 14 yr old daughter how she got he friends crf150f back to are camp 10 miles away after the boy crashed and broke the clutch handle so i asked she said i started it in nuetral gave it a little gas and poped it in first and off she went back to the camp and by the time i got back she had it apart ready to fix it smart girl