Gordon's Trail Tip #1
    Gordon

Gordon's Trail Tip #1

by Gordon » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:04 am

I think every trail rider should carry a large plastic trash bag somewhere on their bike or body. They fold flat and weigh next to nothing, so there's really no downside at all! You may never ned it, but since it's basically free and so easy to carry, it's almost a crime not to have one!

"But why would I need a plastic bag on a trail ride?"

Hey, I'm glad you asked, goggle-eyes! Here are just half-a-dozen reasons, and I'll bet you can come up with even more.

1. To use as a ground cloth during a trailside repair, to keep your tools and parts out of the dirt, mud, or sand.

2. If it starts raining, punch holes in the closed end of the bag for your head and arms, and you have a light-weight waterproof make-shift poncho. I once saw a rider use the bag as "clothing" after falling in a creek, while his regular clothes were being wrung out to get rid of most of the water.

3. To wrap around the wound of an injured rider to protect the injury from the elements.

4. To provide shade or rain protection for an injured or ill rider, or to wrap around and help keep the person warm.

5. Strong plastic bags can be twisted into a makeshift rope for use as a tourniquet, to bind splints around a broken bone, to fasten something onto your bike, etc.

6. Incredible but true, a plastic bag can even be used as (drum roll, please) a plastic bag! Bags are handy for transfering gas from one bike to another, carrying water from a stream to cool an overheated bike, wrapping up unwanted clothes when the day turns hot, etc.

"Where should I carry it?"

In a pocket, in your tool bag, in a smaller plastic bag taped to a fender, or even rolled up in the bottom of your airbox if it allows easy access and doesn't interfere. Use your imagination for more than just thinking you're another Dick Burelson!
    Gordon Banks, Huntsville, AL
    2005 Honda Pilot Tow Car
    2005 Honda CRF450X w/Rekluse
    2005 Honda CRF250X w/Rekluse
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800
    1997 Honda 300 4x4 w/Powroll Big Bore Kit
  • ev

by ev » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:38 am

7. for cold, rainy enduro-starts I used to wear a trashbag over my jersey to stay dry and warm
    and simply tear it off some time into the race, when warmed up
  • JTred

by JTred » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:37 pm

I'm not sure you could hold gas in a plastic trash bag, at least not for very long. I've never tried a trash bag but i know from experience that if you leave gas in a disposable plastic cup for more than a few minutes it will eat through the cup.
    Stock CRF 230F
    TrikeKid

by TrikeKid » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:56 pm

He doesnt mean to carry extra gas. If your buddy runs out in the middle of nowhere you can take gas from your tank and transfer it into his.
    05 CRF230F
    The "power-up" kit is a lie
    Parting out an 85 XR100 tell me what you want.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest
  • JTred

by JTred » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:03 pm

Well wouldn't your vent tube work much better for that? I'm just saying thin plastic and gasoline don't mix well.
    Stock CRF 230F
  • crf_rider.com

by crf_rider.com » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:54 pm

why would you even carry gas really far in a plastic bag.
    Crf250R
    run um hard run um stock
  • sc409

trash bag

by sc409 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Great suggestion, used them on mountain and road bikes in the rain, but all your points are great,, thx :D
    ~R.Dawg

by ~R.Dawg » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:06 am

You could also pick up trash that idiots leave. I can't believe the amount of trash I see along the trails. I always say, I wish I had a trash bag!!
    When in doubt, hit the gas!!