07 450X Bog/Surge
  • TellEmToGetAHonda

07 450X Bog/Surge

by TellEmToGetAHonda » Fri May 13, 2022 5:45 pm

Hey guys, I'm kinda at my whit's end here. I'll save you the novel, because this has a long backstory... so here's the short version.

2007 Honda CRF450X. Street legal setup. Rode it for a couple years with no issues. Learned later that these things have valve problems and you need to adjust the valves every year. Didn't want to do that, but liked the bike, so when it started hard starting when the valves got outta whack I had the Honda dealer do the stainless steel valve "mod". During the process, the bike got a complete rebuild. Every since it has ran like absolute crap. The dealer tried a couple different pilot jets apparently, but both are acting the same.

Here's the symptoms:
    After warming up, in neutral, if you hit about 1/8-1/4 throttle it will bog and have trouble idling. Sometimes it will stall. Same thing happens when trying to putt the thing around the yard. I can hardly get it moving because it bogs so bad at 1/8-1/4 throttle so I had to rev the . out of it and basically dump the clutch to get it moving. Once moving the bike will not maintain a constant speed or RPM. It will go all over the place and bog then surge then bog then surge. All while maintaining the throttle position. It is completely undrivable. I don't know what it does in the upper rev/throttle ranges because I haven't *safely* been able to get it there.

The long version of this story is that I've been trying to figure this out on and off with the shop for 2 years.

Is there anything else I should look at before cutting my losses and just getting a new (EFI) bike?

My GoPro is charging right now. I will get a video of it "running" tomorrow.

Thanks.