Issues
  • bowdom

Issues

by bowdom » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:39 am

Hey all, first time post on here.

Looking for some input with my '06 450X. I got the bike on a trade deal and didn't realize how bad off it was. The ES wasn't working and 2 days after owning it, I sheared the kicker off. So...being intrigued with my new bike, I decided to do a complete tear down. During my tear down, I found that every bearing was completely shot and falling apart, the valves needed adjusting, timing was off, and the list goes on. Many of the performance mods were previously done, including airbox mod, pink wire, and JD jet kit.

At this point, I have reassembled the bike and am still experiencing issues, some that weren't present before the tear down. First, the ES still isn't working after replacing the battery, soldering the clutch wires together, checking all wiring and fuse, and replacing the starter relay. Not sure where to go from here, should I consider getting a new starter. Right now, hitting the button just gives a click at the relay. Occasionally it will try to turn over, but very sluggishly.

Additionally, the bike is leaking which wasn't an issue before. Upon first starting the bike for the day, it spits gas out of the bowl overflow while kicking. I'm thinking that the float may not be set correctly, so I'm going to get in there and check. Once it's started, the leaking stops. While riding, when I goose the throttle, it wants to die. If I roll slowly on the throttle, power is great. Could this be an indication of running lean? Would adjusting the pilot screw out possibly fix it?

More leaking. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but while sitting overnight, it is leaking from somewhere. I can't tell what it is either. It doesn't appear to be from any of the vent hoses. It isn't gas and I don't think it's oil either (though it may be). I have red trans oil in it, so I would think that I'd be able to tell if it was that. My shock, shock linkage, swingarm near those, and hoses are covered in whatever is leaking. Any input into what that could be would be greatly appreciated.

What would you all recommend? Should I bite the bullet and bring it to a shop? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I've been working on this thing for a few weeks and spent a lot of money trying to get it right. I really just want to rip on the dang thing! Any suggestions on how to overcome these issues would be awesome! Thanks!
    JimDirt

Re: Issues

by JimDirt » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What I would first recommend is to get a Service Manual for it (the Factory Honda one not a Clymers) they are around $50-60 and worth every penny ........ and it will tell you everything you need to know rather than grasping at straws , hoping you find the issue , that way , you can actually do tests to eliminate each item ...... by the sounds of it , I would say the Starter Clutch/one way bearing is shot , and that along with maybe the starter brushes are your slow starting issue ...... the kickstart being broke is a good indicator of either someone abusing the kick starter or the bike backfiring while kicking , hopefully the case itself did not crack near where the kickstarter shaft is , as it is a issue if the kickstarter kicks back while kicking it , in later years they re enforced the case , but the 05-07 I believe were the worst , or a combo of that and a frozen starter one way bearing .......

The running bogging , sounds like either jets clogged and/or old gas (if the gas is over 3 months old , pour it in your car or lawn mower , but it wont run in these bikes , ethanol is the enemy and the cause of many starting and running issues) , you could have the float level off or the needle/seat is worn and needs replaced that would explain the carb leaking when starting , I would personally just replace the Pilot Jet , and clean all the others and make sure the float is adjusted correctly , make sure the Accelerator Pump is working by looking down the throat of the carb (you might be able to do it with the air filter removed , otherwise you need to lift the subframe and look at the carb throat itself , then give the throttle a full twist while looking in the airbox side , and see if in fact the AP is squirting , it should give a long squirt that just barely misses the slide itself .....

The dripping you are seeing that is red is possibly air filter oil , if the filter was excessively oiled and never really cleaned up , it would have oil seeping everywhere around the swingarm and linkage , if the air filter has red filter oil on it then that will confirm it is filter oil ..... otherwise , if the tranny or engine was overfilled (with red oil) it could be coming out the vent lines , or there is also a possibility is that the countershaft seal is damaged and it is what is leaking , but the oil would be mostly on the left side of the engine and swingarm and linkage , again , you would be looking for signs of red oil .... , but my first guess would be filter oil ...

And I have a 06 , and I have had it since new , and I love the bike , the only issue I have ever had with it , was the intake valves , which was my fault for letting dirt get by the air filter and destroy the intakes , it was a known common issue .....but I put Stainless in it in 06 , and have not had to adjust them since ..... I love mine and would never get rid of it .... one of the best bikes I have ever owned ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho