Countershaft bearing seating issues
  • krza

Countershaft bearing seating issues

by krza » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 am

Hey all!

Rebuilding a 2006 CRF450X top to bottom after an oil starvation/top end seizure. I'm doing the bottom end as well just to ensure all bases are covered with potential bearing damage after the bike was run out of oil during the 2019 Baja 1000 race. (That's a whole separate story, don't get me started...)

Anyway, I ordered a rebuild kit and split the cases, removed the crank and all bottom end bearings, and then began installing new bearings.

I froze the bearings and heated the cases in the oven. Yet still, a few bearings are having issues fully seating.

-The right side crank bearing is seemingly sitting a little proud and the torx keepers don't line up (see photo).

-While trying to seat the countershaft bearing using an aluminum driver and a steel hammer, after heating the case and freezing the bearing, it would not seat and the bearing was sitting proud and the keepers with #3 phillips would not line up. I continued to heat and gently tap it with a wood block backing it on the outside of the case. No movement, still sat proud. Finally hit it a bit harder, and the bearing punched through the case. Here's the worst part: I ordered a new left hand crank case from Rocky Mountain, and a new factory countershaft bearing, and gave it another go. Froze the bearing, heated the case, aluminum driver, backed it with a wood block on the case side, gently hitting it. Keepers would not line up. Used a little more force, it broke through as well!
    -The result is that the countershaft bearing race appears to have marring on it where the bearing was way too snug and took some material out of the race. See photo.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

Re: Countershaft bearing seating issues

by JimDirt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:30 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am assuming you used (or tried to use) the same bearings in both cases correct ??? , I am guessing there may be a issue with the bearing itself , I can see a accident happening while installing the bearing ... it does happen , but twice , the exact same issue ??? , so to me , the issue lies within the bearing itself , either it is the wrong part , or someone mis packaged it and that is the issue ..... either way , I would not try to install that bearing again , I would either go OEM , or contact HotRods and see what they are willing to do , as I see this as a part fault , not installation fault after looking at the pics .....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:40 am

I tend to disagree with Jim on this. Two bearings & two cases. It looks like an installation / installer issue. The bearing looks like it shaved material off as you drove it in and that material packed in the recess bottom below the bearing not allowing the bearing to seat. Slightest bit of debris can keep a bearing from seating square and flush.
    Far too heavy hitting on the installers part for two busted cases. You did not say what temperature you froze the bearing or temperature you heated the case to. Done correctly the bearing should literally drop in place.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:17 pm

My bad , I missed the part about buying the "new factory countershaft bearing" #-o

So in conclusion ...... nevermind ....... :-~ and I agree with Neil ......
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • krza

by krza » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:53 am

Hey all! Thanks for the responses. I wanted to follow up on my findings.

First caveat, I have rebuilt a few motors in my time. Not a lot, but a few. I'm a big time shade tree mechanic and by no means am I a pro! So I admit my shortcomings.

With that said (and I promise I RTFM when I was installing bearings) I installed them backward. In reading the manual, I saw that bearings should be installed with the identifying markings facing inward. I understood this to be facing into the inside of the motor. They should be facing into the bearing seat.

The sharp edge that was taking material out of the bearing seat was the edge that should be facing the retainers.

So here I am replacing both cases and wearing some serious egg on my face. Big time live and learn.

Thanks for responses. Hope someone out there learns from my very dumb mistake.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:41 pm

We all learn as we go.
    That was a costly one to "learn" but at least you figured it out. When people solve problems they are having and report what they find it certainly helps others in the future.
    Thanks for letting us know.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • krza

by krza » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm

It most definitely was a costly live and learn. Really dumb.

Bearings are all installed correctly, retainers are in, crank is in, trans going in today. Back on track.

Thanks for responses, and good call on the "installation / installer" analysis. It certainly was that.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:06 pm

It may have been costly but you prevailed. =DD
    May help may of use next time we go to put a bearing in!

Best of luck on the build.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD