2019 450X - Struggling with gear selector
  • Gduncan

2019 450X - Struggling with gear selector

by Gduncan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:58 am

Hi Guys: I am learning how to ride my new 2019 450x and getting it set up. I have new Fox boots that are a bit bulky and struggled to easily select gears as desired. Between the bulky new boots and stock shifter, it feels bad.

I know the boots will break in and become more flexible, allowing greater ankle movement, which should help, but the shifter is super short and it makes it hard to tuck my boot under to shift up. Do most riders get an aftermarket unit?

Thanks, Garrett
    JimDirt

Re: 2019 450X - Struggling with gear selector

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes there "should" be aftermarket shifters available that are longer , (At least for most models , though I did not find any doing a quick Google search for a 19 450X) , BUT , You could try adjusting the shifter higher , by loosening then removing completely the pinch bolt where it attaches to the spline , noting its location on the spline , pull the shifter out/off , then turning it up one more notch then reinstalling and see if that helps , you can go another if that is not enough but is better than it was , I personally run mine about 2 notches up from level/stock on both my 02 450R and my 06 450X , so that is perfectly common because of thicker boots and should not be a issue with shifting once done ...... If it is still not enough , then get a aftermarket one that is longer and you should be good to go ..... ;)

I looked in Ken's parts and did not see a shifter for it , but that does not mean he can't get one ..... you could PM him and ask if he has one that will fit or if he can get a longer shifter for it ..... https://www.crfsonly.com/forum/memberli ... rofile&u=3
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Gduncan

Re: 2019 450X - Struggling with gear selector

by Gduncan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 am

Hey Jim: Awesome, that's what I needed. If this is common, I'll just rotate it 1-2 splines and that may do it. Your response is appreciated.

Regards, Garrett