Throttle cable routing - pictures or links please
  • PW80Dad

Throttle cable routing - pictures or links please

by PW80Dad » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am

Hi guys - Put the new throttle cables on today. (You were right it was the cables... I couldn't believe the lack of friction when I pulled the new ones out of the bag - thanks)

(FYI - while lubing the old ones they slipped around enough that I don't trust the old routing)

Current state -
    Tank is not on the bike
    Cables are just finger tight top and bottom - noticed the issue after putting the carb in the cavity and attaching to intake. (learning to test frequently during installs with this machine) :)

Problem: Once installed the throttle is jamming at full right lock. Pretty snappy everywhere else I put the bars

I'm primarily trying to figure out if the cables should go over or under the radiator hoses. The service manual isn't very clear on the routing - it looks to me like they are over. I've seen pictures (I really tried to research this before posting FWIW). where they go under, but I'm pretty sure they were over previously.

If anyone has any pictures or links that show the (correct) routing for an '05 CRF450X I would really appreciate it.

If over the radiator hose is correct - any thoughts on what might be causing the bind? (tank is still off)
    JimDirt

Re: Throttle cable routing - pictures or links please

by JimDirt » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Under the hose will give a straight shot to the carb and it should not bind with that route , I am even using a 3.2 Gal IMS tank and still has plenty of clearance (I just now took this pic of my 06) ...... Also make sure when reinstalling the tank , not to get the fuel petcock caught on the coil power feed wire when you are feeding the fuel line down thru there , it is easily pulled off , then when you try to start the bike , it just turns over and wont run ...*don't ask me how I know this** #-o
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • PW80Dad

Re: Throttle cable routing - pictures or links please

by PW80Dad » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks Jim. Working great now. I was smoking crack I guess