'09 CRF450X won't start
  • Rawso88

Re: '09 CRF450X won't start

by Rawso88 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:22 am

I know it's been a while but maybe handy for others in the future so here is the speedo wiring for Aussie 450X and 250X 08/09 models

Pin 1: Black = +12V Batt
    Pin 2: Green = Earth
    Pin 3: Brown = +12V Ign
    Pin 4: Green = Sensor (-)
    Pin 5: Red/White = Sensor (+)
    Pin 6: White = Sensor out
    Pin 12: Purple = High Beam
    Pin 13: Orange = Indicator (left)
    Pin 14: Blue = Indicator (right)
    Pin 20: Red = Ign Lamp

You can see where Pin 1 is in the attached pic (top right). Taken from the ADR wiring diagram. I also have the 450X diagram as a pdf if needed, although 250X is slightly different (I have both 250X and 450X)
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Mitta Norath

by Mitta Norath » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:00 pm

I know it's been a while but maybe handy for others in the future so here is the speedo wiring for Aussie 450X and 250X 08/09 models

Pin 1: Black = +12V Batt
    Pin 2: Green = Earth
    Pin 3: Brown = +12V Ign
    Pin 4: Green = Sensor (-)
    Pin 5: Red/White = Sensor (+)
    Pin 6: White = Sensor out
    Pin 12: Purple = High Beam
    Pin 13: Orange = Indicator (left)
    Pin 14: Blue = Indicator (right)
    Pin 20: Red = Ign Lamp

You can see where Pin 1 is in the attached pic (top right). Taken from the ADR wiring diagram. I also have the 450X diagram as a pdf if needed, although 250X is slightly different (I have both 250X and 450X)
    Oh mate! this is so useful and exactly what I needed! haha wow you are a godsend, cant thank you enough <3
  • Rawso88

by Rawso88 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Glad I could help.
  • Rawso88

by Rawso88 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:37 am

I wouldn't kick the 450X too often as they have a weak point behind the kickstarter and you'll end up with damage like mine in the photos.

Edit: Sorry for the double up as it was mentioned in an earlier post but thought I'd show the results
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Mitta Norath

by Mitta Norath » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:20 pm

I wouldn't kick the 450X too often as they have a weak point behind the kickstarter and you'll end up with damage like mine in the photos.

Edit: Sorry for the double up as it was mentioned in an earlier post but thought I'd show the results
    sh*t thats scary, thanks for sharing that as I kick mine 100% of the time, sometimes 10+ kicks before it fires up. time to diagnose and fix the e-start. appreciate your sharing!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:48 am

sh*t thats scary, thanks for sharing that as I kick mine 100% of the time, sometimes 10+ kicks before it fires up. time to diagnose and fix the e-start. appreciate your sharing!

The main thing about kicking is make sure you are giving a full followed thru kick , the break "usually" occurs (not always but usually) when the bike is not on the compression stroke when kicking and it kicks back thru the kickstart , then it breaks the case as there is a structural issue with the case itself , and it needs a reinforcement near the kick area , some people have their cases welded up in that area to keep it from breaking again , once they have to replace the case ..... and yea , the button is how you really want to start it if at all possible , Also the kickstart stopper is known to break and it will end up causing the kickstarter to go beyond where it should and break the case , there is a easy fix for that (below)

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/4253
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Rawso88

by Rawso88 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:34 pm

@Mitta Norath How did you go with the electric start issues?
    It took me way too long to figure out my issue was the decompressor shaft.
    I'd checked it's operation a bunch of times before I took it out to be sure and found the end pin which pushes the plunger to open the exhaust valves was slighty bent. Honda did a recall on these and apparently this bike was never done. The new part was about $150 and comes with the new plunger too. The pin has been strengthened and is now approx 5mm compared to the OEM 3mm.
    I'd say that's why my bikes previous owner started kicking it all the time and ended up breaking the cases.
  • Mitta Norath

by Mitta Norath » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:02 pm

@Mitta Norath How did you go with the electric start issues?
    It took me way too long to figure out my issue was the decompressor shaft.
    I'd checked it's operation a bunch of times before I took it out to be sure and found the end pin which pushes the plunger to open the exhaust valves was slighty bent. Honda did a recall on these and apparently this bike was never done. The new part was about $150 and comes with the new plunger too. The pin has been strengthened and is now approx 5mm compared to the OEM 3mm.
    I'd say that's why my bikes previous owner started kicking it all the time and ended up breaking the cases.
    it ended up being my decompressor shaft too haha, I was just too novice to notice. ended up taking it to someone more knowledgable and experienced than me and he caught it straight away. Everyone here was right on the money :)