Clutch switch is activating my e-start!?
  • Stella87

Clutch switch is activating my e-start!?

by Stella87 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am

Some how the wires have crossed, and when I pull the clutch lever in, it is activating my e-start :!: :!: Literally starting the bike. I have a wiring diagram and I can see where they feed into the same terminal, but how do I fix it, or what could have caused it? For a little more detail, I stopped for gas a few nights ago and when i went to shut it off, I engaged the clutch was pressing the kill switch and it sounded like the bike was trying to restart whilst also trying to shut off :shock: So i sat there at the gas station with no tools, at night, trying to trace wires in and out of all the switches with a cell phone light and the headlight shroud not removed and realized that pulling the clutch lever in starts the bike without even touching the estart. Then with the bike now running, the estart still activates when I pull in the clutch lever. I was on the road for 45 minutes prior to this happening and my bike is pretty loud so if the e start was engaging everytime i grabbed the clutch I didnt notice or hear it... I really hope it wasnt happening that entire ride. Ended up starting the bike, and driving home slow while shifting clutchless the whole way. This is a 2006 CRF450x, street legal, I just purchased the bike and it was fine up until this. The bike had a horn installed but no lighting control switches or turn signals or anything, I installed a tusk control switch (Hi/lo beam, horn, and turn signals(turn signals not hooked up)) myself. While installing it, I came across the previous owners hack job on installing the horn which he spliced into the black/red wire off the clutch switch, WHICH eventually goes to the starter relay, so I could assume this is the culprit, but why would that cause the estart to activate.

And junction where Clutch Switch meets starter switch
  • Back2-2

Re: Clutch switch is activating my e-start!?

by Back2-2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Wow - you really got a mess going there. I suggest digging back in on the wiring you have done. Something really went astray. If nothing stands out start removing each item you worked on until you find the culprit. Then figure out how and what is going on. If the starter was kicking in every time you used the clutch - that's really got to be hard on both the starter and the starter gear. That my warrant an inspection once you get this figured out.

Report back with what you find.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I agree with Neil , you have something crossed , the Clutch Switch basically acts as a ground interrupt for the starter , basically if the wires were tied together without a switch the starter would engage anytime you press the button , what i think has happened is you somehow wired the new switches and crossed the clutch switch wires with the start button wires , either alone or spliced into them , that is where i think you will locate the issue , what your doing is making a complete circuit to the starter when there should be no voltage thru the clutch switch , the switch wires should not have voltage , i would eliminate the horn wire from that switch setup and run a wire either thru your key (if you have one) on the ignition side with a inline fuse , or direct to the battery (thru a fuse) for the horn , i think the horn may be the instigator here

Remove the horn wire from the setup first and see what happens
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Stella87

by Stella87 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Okay so I removed the horn wire and the issue is still happening I even rewired the tusk control switch. Any more ideas as to why the clutch would be activating the estart?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 am

The only other thing i can think of without seeing it firsthand , is that in the connection you have circled in the diagram where the clutch switch , kill switch and starter all join has a connection crossed or somehow a wire is touching another wire , the purpose for the clutch switch is to complete the circuit for the start button , so if its causing it to actually start when the clutch is pulled , then it has to be that a power source is back feeding thru the clutch switch into the outgoing side of the start button , it's about the only logical explanation left that i can see :-k

I feel sorry for you having to troubleshoot this , but the only way i can see it being fixed is to literally go wire by wire and locate the culprit by process of elimination , in other words , disconnect every connection involved , and hook 1 wire at a time and test (putting them back to the same location to confirm the cause) till it replicates the issue , you will then have the wire/s involved and can more easily trace them from there and hopefully find the source... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho