Average Engine Temps?
    scotiacustom

Average Engine Temps?

by scotiacustom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Anyone have any temp info for their motors? Reason i ask is i do a lot of slower technical woods riding. Ive seen the computer reporting temps up to 230F. Normal temp?

Not much i can do other then add fans, water wetter maybe, or synth oil might help.
    2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
    http://www.dualsport.ca
    mustang

by mustang » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:29 am

230 degrees is pretty normal for a 450 in the woods , I find that in the summer mine runs around 220 and in the fall she stays around 190-200 .
    The big X likes to have air moving thru the radiators .

The brackets on the radiadors have mounts already on them for a fan that Honda puts on some of the overseas marketed x's which are street legal from Honda
    c-ya****mustang Image
    djh65

by djh65 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:12 am

that's about where mine runs. If you took the rad fins off to install a rad guard put them back on and it will help.
    David
    06 HD450X made in america.
    Faster and faster til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!!!!
  • smustang

by smustang » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Do your temps run that hot even after re jetting and opening up the air box? I just did that mod hoping it will run cooler. I haven't had a chance to ride with the change yet.
    JAWS

by JAWS » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Can't say what the temps are but the rejet and all fixed my boiling issues.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    scotiacustom

by scotiacustom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:02 am

I just put the NCVS needle in, and a 165 main, from a 142!. Opened the top of the box. There is no doubt it works better. Also i can say the bike is running cooler for sure according to the computer. Good luck! its worth it!!
    2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 am

The jetting mods sure do lower the operating temperature, signifcantly too.
    Notice all these clowns writing reviews on new thumpers like the KLX, they'll always start off by saying that the stock jetting is "spot-on". Then they'll mention " it percolated a little bit in tight going, but no biggie". No biggie to them because they didn't have to pay for their bike, huh ? It's not their personal engine getting barbequed, is it ?
    Synthetic oil is a great idea on these engines, Ester synthetics even better.No, there's no special time to start using synthetics, there isn't a thing in the world wrong with using them right off the bat, no reason that's got any proven data to support it anyhow.
    Well without fail down the road a couple months they'll start opening up airboxes and installing richer jets, aftermarket pipes, etc., then maybe us "internet dummies" aren't so dumb after all.
    Dirt Bike, one of the better mags, rode Destry Abbotts KLX450,a KLX bottom with KX piston, cams and head. They said it was outstanding. Duh, big time power with a lot of flywheel weight,wide ratio transmission and an e-start, what's not to like and that's what most of us are always chasing.
    That's why I 'm seriously thinking of buying another 450X, an 08, and installing right away the R head , cam and pipe. To me that just sounds like a very sweet combination that couldn't miss.
    Honda should have, and maybe will eventually install a version of that gear position sensor linked to the engine computer they have on the 08 450R onto the 250/450X's. That thing holds huge promise, man you could have near perfect if not as perfect as possible engine characteristics with that thing. Doug
    scotiacustom

by scotiacustom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:17 am

The only thing i dont like about the X is the tranny on the track... 2nd gear is not friendly for a newb there, :] other then that the more i do to this bike the more i like it and the more i get comfortable with it.

I cant wait to get springs for my weight.
    2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
    1stHonda

by 1stHonda » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26 pm

When you guys get the temps on the computer where is the sensor located that picks up the heat. I have one of those infrared thermometers and was wondering what I should see if pointing it at the side of the cylinder after a few laps on the track.
    Braaap
    SoylentGreen

by SoylentGreen » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:55 pm

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the little cap at the bottom of the right rad?
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:34 pm

and was wondering what I should see if pointing it at the side of the cylinder after a few laps on the track

Is your jetting and airbox stock or not ?
    The JD Kit or the NCVS option with airbox mod typically lower temps 10-15 degrees F,opening the exhaust along with these help another 3-5 degrees. You should see the diference on JD's dyno on exhaust gas temp difference, pretty amazing. Doug
    mustang

by mustang » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:56 am

1stHonda wrote:When you guys get the temps on the computer where is the sensor located that picks up the heat. .

The temp sensor for the vapor is located in the water line behind the left radiator , it measures water temp just like on a car . This is for water cooled bikes , obviously the vapor kit for say an air cooled 230 would be checking temps off the head I think .
    c-ya****mustang Image
    scotiacustom

by scotiacustom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:29 pm

mustang wrote:
    1stHonda wrote:When you guys get the temps on the computer where is the sensor located that picks up the heat. .

The temp sensor for the vapor is located in the water line behind the left radiator , it measures water temp just like on a car . This is for water cooled bikes , obviously the vapor kit for say an air cooled 230 would be checking temps off the head I think .

Thats were i put mine. Its the biggest lenght of rad hose i think. hrmm i think it said in the kit where it would get the temp from an air cooled... but i dont remember. Pretty sure the instructions are universal.
    2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
    scotiacustom

by scotiacustom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:30 pm

SoylentGreen wrote:Does anyone know what the thread size is for the little cap at the bottom of the right rad?

Sorry i dont... start a new thread maybe?? Or it might be in a search,...
    2007 CRF230F
    2007 CRF450X
    SoylentGreen

by SoylentGreen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:26 pm

scotiacustom wrote:
    SoylentGreen wrote:Does anyone know what the thread size is for the little cap at the bottom of the right rad?

Sorry i dont... start a new thread maybe?? Or it might be in a search,...

I was thinking of getting a small electric temp gauge and was wondering if I could plug it in there.