2007 CRF50 won't rev up
  • RubberPenguin

2007 CRF50 won't rev up

by RubberPenguin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:36 pm

I recently got a 2007 CRF50 from a buddy and it had been sitting for about 6 months. The bike starts great and idles smooth but will not rev very high and sputters when throttled. I completely flushed the fuel and even installed a new carb after thoroughly cleaning the one on it made no improvement. To keep me from just replacing parts, can someone point me in the right direction to focus on troubleshooting?
    JimDirt

Re: 2007 CRF50 won't rev up

by JimDirt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Do you know any of the history of the bike ??? , like why it was parked ??? , was it having these kind of issues before parking ??? , if so I would look at the stator , or maybe clogged vent line in the tank ..... Also if you replaced the carb but used the old vent lines , it is possible that mud daubers got into he lines at the end , and are clogging them ....it is real common for them to get into hanging vent lines , when a bike sits , especially if it is in a place that is open or partially open where insects can get in

But if you completely replaced the carb itself and the issue did not change , then I would first look into the electrical (stator output), coil output , spark plug cap .... then move to vent lines , etc. .... those bikes are pretty bulletproof , they seem to last forever and usually will run for years without issues , so I would look into why it was sitting , and the actual sitting as a reason .... so insects , or maybe even a rotten rubber in the fuel valve itself (on/off/reserve) and its just not getting gas into the carb , or minimal .... what about air filter ?? , remove it and look into the snorkel on the intake side of the air filter box , see if there is something blocking or nesting in there like mice or something ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • RubberPenguin

by RubberPenguin » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:14 am

JimDirt - Thanks for the reply and sorry it took so long to post back.. I replaced the coil and plug and problem solved! I got so used to the more complex electronic systems I failed at troubleshooting 101 and really appreciate the help.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Glad you got it figured out .... it sure sounded like a venting issue , but , if that was not the issue , then yea , electrical would have been next on the list ... so good deal ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho