Problem with 2012 CRF450R
  • Larza

Problem with 2012 CRF450R

by Larza » Tue May 11, 2021 2:55 am

Hello! I am in dire need of help, i bought a CRF450 2012 with fuel injection and when it was delivered it ran like . so i handed it off and it turned out to be a cracked cylinder and blown piston, got it replaced and delivered, also checked valve clearence. When i got home it ran ok, wanted to die on idle but power was good, so i took it out for a ride but after turning it off it was hard to start. Also misfires alot everytime you give it gas, idles rough and a bit difficult to start. When u give it full throttle it will cut out and just start to engine brake so you cant give it full throttle. Fresh gas, new spark plug and new fuel filter, anyone got any ideas? Im loosing my mind here.
    JimDirt

Re: Problem with 2012 CRF450R

by JimDirt » Tue May 11, 2021 8:18 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

There could be a couple things to look for here .... First , I would look at the fuel pump itself , if it is not putting out the volume , that could cause your symptoms , it can still function and not put out enough fuel , as well as a clogged or weak injector .... The other issue could be the Stator .... , and another is the Coil , if you are getting spark , but it is weak , or fails under load , then that would also cause your symptoms .... Those would be the first places I would look ....

The issue is , you need to test them , to eliminate them , which you would need a Service Manual to do some of the tests , that the Owners Manual does not cover , as it will give you some tests , but far from everything , that is where the Factory Service Manual comes into play , it will have every test that the Honda Techs would use to diagnose your bike (one of the years I do not have a Service Manual on , only a Owners Manual)... the other issue would be some of the tests require special tools , they are available , but some are expensive , some are fairly common and fairly inexpensive but some electrical items require that specific tool or gauge to test the function or give the specs needed to confirm it is working correctly or not ... And it depends on your mechanical confidence and ability , most people with decent mechanical skills can preform the tests without issues ...

So to help with diagnosing .... Are you getting any codes on the MIL light ??? (this is the light that flashes on your kill switch when you start your bike) , it should flash , then go out when you start the bike , if it continues to flash while the bike is running , you need to count the flashes to get the error code , it will flash like ** *** , or * **** , basically a code , then another code , the flash is the number , so for the first example it flashed 2 times , then a pause then flashes 3 times , that is code 23 , or the next example is 1 flash , then 4 flashes , is code 14 , so on and so on .... , hopefully you are getting a code as that will isolate the issue , if no code is present , then you are down to eliminating each item , by either a specific test , or a replacement to eliminate that part ... unfortunately , on all the newer bikes (09 on) they are dependent on electrical sensors and components for EFI and Mapping , etc. , so they are sometimes hard to troubleshoot , because 1 item can affect another , so you have to eliminate each thing to be sure of the issue ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho