Shock Arm Bolt Stuck (2005 CRF450x)
    TyMac17

Shock Arm Bolt Stuck (2005 CRF450x)

by TyMac17 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:15 am

Hey everyone, I'm having some issues getting the shock arm bolt out of my bike. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my shock linkage and I'm having a bit*h of a time getting the bolt out of the shock arm. I've tried just about every penetrating fluid, heating it, cooling it, mashing it with hammers, sledgehammers, etc. and it's not moving even the slightest. It seems odd that it would be rusted in so bad, as I can still spin the bolt around with a wrench/socket. If anyone has some ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
    2005 CRF450x (Motard)
    2000 XR200r
  • Leardriver

Re: Shock Arm Bolt Stuck (2005 CRF450x)

by Leardriver » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:50 am

We feel your pain. It isn't common to be that bad, but it happens. I've had to buy new bolts and pieces of linkage after I applied necessary Biblical force to crush impudent resistant bolts.
    TyMac17

by TyMac17 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:03 pm

We feel your pain. It isn't common to be that bad, but it happens. I've had to buy new bolts and pieces of linkage after I applied necessary Biblical force to crush impudent resistant bolts.
    Glad to know I’m not alone on this one lol. I guess I’ll have to just swing the sledgehammer a tad bit harder and hope for the best. Also noticed your username, Leardriver as in Learjet Pilot?
    2005 CRF450x (Motard)
    2000 XR200r
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Just make sure everything is well supported so the hammer blow gets mostly to the bolt.
    Your problem is why we should service these bits of our bikes regularly.

Auto transmission fluid is good for getting things unstuck.
    You might have to soak it a while but it doesn't want to go anywhere at the moment.
    Soak a rag for example and wrap it around the offending part and wrap in cling wrap.

Good luck
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Like Ray said , support what your beating on , as it can cause other issues ..... which bolt is it ?? , the one thru the frame from the dogbone where the chain roller is ?? , or the dogbone to the knuckle ?? , or the shock to the knuckle ?? , or the knuckle to the swingarm ???

What has most likely happened is water got into the coller between the bearings , and the bolt itself is rusted to it so the coller is spinning but the bolt is actually stuck to it ... I see this a lot with the swingarm pivot bolt in the engine collars at the back of the engine where the swingarm attaches .....sometimes the only option is a sawzall to get the bolt off the knuckle or dogbone , then put it in a vice (or better yet a press) and force it out that way , by moving the entire piece by hitting it , as you have been doing , chances are you are binding it more than actually moving it , and most likely putting unwanted pressure on the dogbone .. so this may be your only option short of removing the swingarm itself with the shock attached and then trying to wrangle the whole thing into a supported place , where you can get something supported directly under it to get a solid hit on it ....... even still you may end up replacing those parts with EBay used items (and installing new bearings in them)

Any time I ride in water or wash my bike , especially with a pressure washer , I always blow off the chain and all linkage and or pivot points or bearing locations , like wheel bearings , head bearings and swingarm components with a pressure nozzle and air , then sometimes even WD-40 the parts if the bike is going to sit , WD-40 dissipates moisture , so it can help prevent this happening again along with blowing the parts off after each ride/wash
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    TyMac17

by TyMac17 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:10 am

Like Ray said , support what your beating on , as it can cause other issues ..... which bolt is it ?? , the one thru the frame from the dogbone where the chain roller is ?? , or the dogbone to the knuckle ?? , or the shock to the knuckle ?? , or the knuckle to the swingarm ???

What has most likely happened is water got into the coller between the bearings , and the bolt itself is rusted to it so the coller is spinning but the bolt is actually stuck to it ... I see this a lot with the swingarm pivot bolt in the engine collars at the back of the engine where the swingarm attaches .....sometimes the only option is a sawzall to get the bolt off the knuckle or dogbone , then put it in a vice (or better yet a press) and force it out that way , by moving the entire piece by hitting it , as you have been doing , chances are you are binding it more than actually moving it , and most likely putting unwanted pressure on the dogbone .. so this may be your only option short of removing the swingarm itself with the shock attached and then trying to wrangle the whole thing into a supported place , where you can get something supported directly under it to get a solid hit on it ....... even still you may end up replacing those parts with EBay used items (and installing new bearings in them)

Any time I ride in water or wash my bike , especially with a pressure washer , I always blow off the chain and all linkage and or pivot points or bearing locations , like wheel bearings , head bearings and swingarm components with a pressure nozzle and air , then sometimes even WD-40 the parts if the bike is going to sit , WD-40 dissipates moisture , so it can help prevent this happening again along with blowing the parts off after each ride/wash
    Thanks for the tips. It's maintenance I should have done years ago but never had the time due to a new job, and the bike unfortunately has been sitting in storage for almost 3 years now. Now with COVID at least it's giving me time to give her some much needed TLC. It's the bolt with the chain roller that goes through the frame from the dogbone. The bike is pretty well supported, but I'll try what Ray said and soak it in transmission fluid to see if that helps. At this point I'll do just about anything to get the bugger out.
    2005 CRF450x (Motard)
    2000 XR200r
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 am

With the dogbone disconnected from the linkage knuckle does the dogbone swing freely ?? , or is it bound up ??? .......

What you want to be careful of is bending or putting too much pressure on those frame tabs , and yes , soaking it with Tranny fluid , or PB Blaster or anything that can break down or cut thru rust will help , if worse comes to worse and it just won't come out , the only option may be to cut thru and just replace the dogbone , if you can cut thru right on the inside of the tabs between each side and the dogbone so the dogbone will just drop out .... again EBay will have plenty of them along with the bolt ..... just look closely at the pictures before buying to make sure you don't end up with a trashed part ....... but yea , soak it overnight , if that does not work then you need to cut it
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    TyMac17

by TyMac17 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:03 am

With the dogbone disconnected from the linkage knuckle does the dogbone swing freely ?? , or is it bound up ??? .......

What you want to be careful of is bending or putting too much pressure on those frame tabs , and yes , soaking it with Tranny fluid , or PB Blaster or anything that can break down or cut thru rust will help , if worse comes to worse and it just won't come out , the only option may be to cut thru and just replace the dogbone , if you can cut thru right on the inside of the tabs between each side and the dogbone so the dogbone will just drop out .... again EBay will have plenty of them along with the bolt ..... just look closely at the pictures before buying to make sure you don't end up with a trashed part ....... but yea , soak it overnight , if that does not work then you need to cut it
    I’ve got linkage off and the dogbone does swing freely. I’ve got the whole thing wrapped up and soaking in tranny fluid so I’ll give it some whacks in the morning and hope for the best. Hopefully don’t have to do any cutting but so be it if that’s my only option. Unfortunate for me that I’m in Canada and all of the dogbones I’m seeing for sale on eBay are in the US so I’ll get screwed on shipping and since our dollar is so crap right now. Thanks for the help! I’ll update in the morning to let ya know if I got er our. Cheers.
    2005 CRF450x (Motard)
    2000 XR200r
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Yea , I was born in Ontario (Hamilton) have not been back since I was 14 (1973-ish) ... but I understand , my relatives complain about it all the time ....... , that is one of the perks of living in the U.S. , 99% is just order it and have it in a few days ... no import hassle ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    TyMac17

by TyMac17 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Yea , I was born in Ontario (Hamilton) have not been back since I was 14 (1973-ish) ... but I understand , my relatives complain about it all the time ....... , that is one of the perks of living in the U.S. , 99% is just order it and have it in a few days ... no import hassle ....
    Ah very nice, I was born in Kitchener, moved to the East Coast when I was just a baby then moved back to Ontario (Northern Ontario) for work about 3 years ago and left the bike at home. You 'muricans sure have it better than us for options when it comes to online shopping for parts. And to update ya, no joy on the tranny fluid. Gotta love the ol sawzall. Cut through that aluminium like butter. Time to find a half decent dogbone for hopefully not an outrageous price. Local dealer wants almost $200.00 CAD for a new one. So pretty much free in USD lol.
    2005 CRF450x (Motard)
    2000 XR200r
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm glad you got it off. It isn't always a sterile procedure like you see on a video. A grinder and a torch were invented for a reason.

Yes, I do Lear stuff. Lear 25 in the old days on air ambulance, Lear 31, 35, and 55 on charter. Lear 45 for a fortune 200 company 15 years ago. Lear 40 for Kevin Costner.
    Now, Lear 60 and Challenger for a NASCAR team, Martin Truex's old team in Colorado. We sold the team and I get 38 Sundays a year back.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Ah very nice, I was born in Kitchener, moved to the East Coast when I was just a baby then moved back to Ontario (Northern Ontario) for work about 3 years ago and left the bike at home. You 'muricans sure have it better than us for options when it comes to online shopping for parts. And to update ya, no joy on the tranny fluid. Gotta love the ol sawzall. Cut through that aluminium like butter. Time to find a half decent dogbone for hopefully not an outrageous price. Local dealer wants almost $200.00 CAD for a new one. So pretty much free in USD lol.
    I am still a canuck-ian ... I am a Permanent Resident Alien over here , or as I like to call it ... A SnowBack (instead of wetback)..... but been here since I was 2 more or less .......... but last time I was there was 73-ish as mentioned , quarantined in a motel in Simcoe with Chicken Pox ..... drove my dad nuts being stuck with me in that room for 2 weeks .. but yea , getting things here is much easier than most other countries , never understood why it would be any different , but ... , and I was wondering if it was eventually going to come down to the sawzall ...... you should find plenty of them on EBay though ... just a matter of the shipping ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Just to help you out .... ;)

For this price , you can afford the shipping ...

Dogbone:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-CRF450X-L ... SwVo5elxR0

Linkage Bolts:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRF450X-HONDA- ... SwSXFd-WTP
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm glad you got it off. It isn't always a sterile procedure like you see on a video. A grinder and a torch were invented for a reason.

Yes, I do Lear stuff. Lear 25 in the old days on air ambulance, Lear 31, 35, and 55 on charter. Lear 45 for a fortune 200 company 15 years ago. Lear 40 for Kevin Costner.
    Now, Lear 60 and Challenger for a NASCAR team, Martin Truex's old team in Colorado. We sold the team and I get 38 Sundays a year back.
    Funny, I started my career in designing the turbine engines for many of those aircraft. Garrett engines. Moved on to turbine fighter helicopters after that. Then to high altitude turbine testing and air flow testing. Now - it's just motorcycles.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    TyMac17

by TyMac17 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:20 am

Very nice! You sure are living my dream. I finished flight school about a year and a half ago and lucked out with a King Air 100 job in Northern Ontario. Unfortunately now due to COVID I’m laid off. Hopefully be back soon to get my hours and move on to something a little bigger, faster, and flying higher. I’ve always had an interest in corporate flying. I’d love to give that shot when I’ve got the requirements.
    2005 CRF450x (Motard)
    2000 XR200r