CRF 80 Revs at half Choke?
  • tyebauserman

CRF 80 Revs at half Choke?

by tyebauserman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:35 am

Hi,
    I just purchased a 2004 CRF80F and it fires right up when choked and then when you go to push to choke down it revs the engine until the choke is all the way down and then it idles a little rough and wants to die unless you give it throttle. It has sat alot and I know tht carb probably needs cleaned or the jets replaced, but whats with the high engine RPMS as you close the choke??? Thanks in advance!
    Tye
  • Leardriver

Re: CRF 80 Revs at half Choke?

by Leardriver » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am

The pilot jet and circuit are clogged, and only the extra gas from the enrichment circuit will keep it running. New pilot, and clean the passages.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi Tye,
    The choke is providing too much fuel to cover a range of temperatures. This is normal.
    As you turn the choke off back to half the mixture starts to become correct and the engine picks up revs. Once the excess fuel from choking is used up the blocked pilot doesn't supply enough and bike either splutters or dies. Whilst you are in there make sure there are no air leaks as well from split boots etc. Can happen at this age of bike. Give the carb and jets a good clean/replace and should be sweet. At least it starts and runs, the last one I picked up didn't because the carb was so clogged.
  • tyebauserman

by tyebauserman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 am

Awesome, thanks guys. I will do a carb clean/rebuild this weekend. I also need to replace the sprockets and chain, but at $450 for a pretty clean bike I think I did good.