[solved ]CRF 450 2013 Stuttering and missfire
  • Niggo36

[solved ]CRF 450 2013 Stuttering and missfire

by Niggo36 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:03 am

Hi guys,

I got a CRF 450 my. 2013 converted to supermoto. Bike was running super fine until yesterday when i took it for a ride.
    Start behavior is normal, so MIL light turns on and goes off after a few seconds, starts up normal..
    I rode it a few km s to get everything up to temps and everything was normal, as usual.
    The problem came when i got into higher rpms, the bike started to cut out, like stuttering (felt like running out of gas).
    Also the MIL light next to the Killswitch came on just before stuttering/cutting out and then the bike backfired a few times. After that it went back to normal (MIL turned off again) for a few moments and started the process again.
    What i also discoverd is that i can force this problem when doing slaloms, going over bumps and when i stand up and compress the supsension.
    I never had this problem and it only occured yesterday after filling up the tank.
    Does someone have an advice or maybe a guess what it could be?
    Many Thanks!
    Niclas
    Last edited by Niggo36 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    JimDirt

Re: CRF 450 2013 Stuttering and missfire

by JimDirt » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:23 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Vent line clogged ?? , that would be my first guess , especially if you have one of those aftermarket vent caps like this
    , sometimes when you fill the tank all the way , the gas will vent up into the tube , especially when it is as hot as it has been lately , the gas expands in the tank and has no where to go but up that tube , then the little check ball inside gets stuck and it will create a vapor lock , especially when leaning the bike because the gas is going up in the tube and blocking air flow

I always carry a few spares with me when riding just in case that happens ..
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Niggo36

by Niggo36 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Vent line clogged ?? , that would be my first guess , especially if you have one of those aftermarket vent caps like this
    , sometimes when you fill the tank all the way , the gas will vent up into the tube , especially when it is as hot as it has been lately , the gas expands in the tank and has no where to go but up that tube , then the little check ball inside gets stuck and it will create a vapor lock , especially when leaning the bike because the gas is going up in the tube and blocking air flow

I always carry a few spares with me when riding just in case that happens ..
    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response!
    I was thinking about that actually.. I did take it off and rode without it a few meters but the problem kept upcoming. Also i can hear the little ball moving inside. I will check with another vent line i have. Any more guesses? Maybe a lose contact or something possible?
    Fuel filter?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Were you able to count the blinks of the MIL light when it was malfunctioning ??? , that would really help determine what is going on .. but it sounds like a fuel/lean issue , it could be the pump , but I would think it would do it all the time not intermittently , unless the pump can't keep up , I know on a few years ... it could also be the ECM , but again , it would do it all the time ... Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch and see if it does it ?? , maybe a internal ground in the switch , brought on by the bike bouncing around ....

The popping would be indicate a fuel delivery issue or a power/electrical loss , even momentary would cause the issues you are describing .. Honda did a "upgraded" fuel pump for the 09-16 bikes , as they all had issues , so they made a "updated" pump , to address issues with the original ones , if yours is original , that might be the issue ...https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3959
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Niggo36

by Niggo36 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Were you able to count the blinks of the MIL light when it was malfunctioning ??? , that would really help determine what is going on .. but it sounds like a fuel/lean issue , it could be the pump , but I would think it would do it all the time not intermittently , unless the pump can't keep up , I know on a few years ... it could also be the ECM , but again , it would do it all the time ... Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch and see if it does it ?? , maybe a internal ground in the switch , brought on by the bike bouncing around ....

The popping would be indicate a fuel delivery issue or a power/electrical loss , even momentary would cause the issues you are describing .. Honda did a "upgraded" fuel pump for the 09-16 bikes , as they all had issues , so they made a "updated" pump , to address issues with the original ones , if yours is original , that might be the issue ...https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3959
    Havent checked with the switch beeing disconnected yet, i will try that! Regarding the MIL light.. It doesnt blink, it just comes on for a few seconds and turns off again when the described behavior is gone and bike turns back to normal. So its like the behavior of the bike starting up.
    It is the original pump, but i dont know.. never had any issues what so ever.
    I also saw that my headlight began to fade just when the malfunction happened, then came back to normal when it was done.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Stator failing. Get out the manual and do some ohms/resistance checks.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Niggo36

by Niggo36 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:33 am

Hi guys,
    Little update:
    Went through all the electric system yesterday and stripped the subframe and air cleaner off to get better access. Cleaned every contact and did the mentioned resistance checks! Everything fine and in spec! Later put the bike back together and started it up - everything fine. But just after a few meters the problem came..
    I then tried with the killswitch disconnected and it was gone - worked like a charm again!
    There must be a lose contact or something cutting the power for a really short moment I guess, since the problem only came when leaning the bike.
    Is something like that possible?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:02 am

Yes, anything is and can be possible in the electrical and mechanical world. Good job. Simple things first.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Niggo36

by Niggo36 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:00 am

Thanks for your help! I will get that killswitch checked and will get a replacement!
    Many thanks!
    Niclas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:28 am

I know the Honda's have had issues with the kill switches since they went to the multi function switches , that is why I mentioned it ... luckily I have not had issues with mine , but it is a known issue with all the bikes that have them ... I wish Honda would just do a Map switch and go back to the old style kill switch again ... seems like a design flaw , I know they are very susceptible to water getting in them and shorting out ...

Anyway ... Glad you got it sorted out .... now you can ride again without worrying about it cutting out =DD
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho