2005 CRF250x intermittent spark
  • Nightcreeper222

2005 CRF250x intermittent spark

by Nightcreeper222 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Hello, im new to the forum and not sure where to post this, hopefully this is right

Recently i bought a 2005 CRF250X as a project bike for over the winter. I was told the bike would run if i did the valves. Ended up taking the whole motor apart to fix the trans as well as replaced all gaskets and seals (Right side main seal was completely missing). also found the main wire harness melted in a few spots, soldered in new wires, put it all back together. I had the bike running ok then i shut it off for the night and its never run since. checked spark and found it to be very intermittent and random, sometimes it sparks and sometimes not. I've check every connector, ground and electrical component with a multi meter as well as put in a new ignition coil and spark plug and still no better.

Anyone know whats wrong? im open to any and all suggestions
    JimDirt

Re: 2005 CRF250x intermittent spark

by JimDirt » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Do you by chance have the Owners or the Factory Honda Service Manual ??? , it has all the correct readings for the Stator , Coil , to see if they are within spec , you did not mention if the "readings" were correct or that you confirmed this , or if you just checked to see if they were getting power , so we need to know the details , as there are a lot of variables ...... Intermittent spark can be from many things , including the Stator , or even the spark plug boot itself or even the CDI , but what concerns me is the issue with the burnt wires , you said you repaired the wires , but the issue is , what caused the wires to melt ?? , something either was shorted out by way of wires getting the coating rubbed/worn off and shorting , or the wires got too hot for some reason (could be many reasons) , and possibly overheated the CDI , Stator windings ,or compromised a ground wire ....

The ground wire at the rear of the engine right behind the clutch actuator sometimes comes loose , it looks like it is still connected , but from lifting the subframe it can become loose in the connector and without that ground , the bike won't start , or run very well if it does start , because of a bad ground , pull gently on the wire right at the connector where it is screwed to the engine case , and see if the wire moves in/out ....

Did you trace the wires ?? , if so where did they go ??? , Stator ?? , CDI ?? , , and if so did you test them specifically ???

When you are testing outputs , are you using the starter ?? , or the kick start ?? (kick starter by hand ??), is it turning over slowly ?? , as that can affect how the spark shows up , are you grounding the plug when starting it ?? , or is it just lying on the head or valve cover ?? , as that could give a inconsistent reading ...... The more info you give , the easier it is to diagnose ....... :-k 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Nightcreeper222

by Nightcreeper222 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:25 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Do you by chance have the Owners or the Factory Honda Service Manual ??? , it has all the correct readings for the Stator , Coil , to see if they are within spec , you did not mention if the "readings" were correct or that you confirmed this , or if you just checked to see if they were getting power , so we need to know the details , as there are a lot of variables ...... Intermittent spark can be from many things , including the Stator , or even the spark plug boot itself or even the CDI , but what concerns me is the issue with the burnt wires , you said you repaired the wires , but the issue is , what caused the wires to melt ?? , something either was shorted out by way of wires getting the coating rubbed/worn off and shorting , or the wires got too hot for some reason (could be many reasons) , and possibly overheated the CDI , Stator windings ,or compromised a ground wire ....

The ground wire at the rear of the engine right behind the clutch actuator sometimes comes loose , it looks like it is still connected , but from lifting the subframe it can become loose in the connector and without that ground , the bike won't start , or run very well if it does start , because of a bad ground , pull gently on the wire right at the connector where it is screwed to the engine case , and see if the wire moves in/out ....

Did you trace the wires ?? , if so where did they go ??? , Stator ?? , CDI ?? , , and if so did you test them specifically ???

When you are testing outputs , are you using the starter ?? , or the kick start ?? (kick starter by hand ??), is it turning over slowly ?? , as that can affect how the spark shows up , are you grounding the plug when starting it ?? , or is it just lying on the head or valve cover ?? , as that could give a inconsistent reading ...... The more info you give , the easier it is to diagnose ....... :-k 8-[
    Thanks

I have the online version of the manual. I checked all the readings with a multi meter with the spark plug out kicking it by hand and they were all in spec. The wires melted against the exhaust because they were not routed properly.

I will check that ground.

The wires that melted where the main harness in between the connectors by the radiator and everything else on the sub frame.

When i was testing for spark i was firmly holding the spark plug against the frame. i know this isn't the best way to test spark but its always worked in the past.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 am

I would look more closely at the CDI and/or the Stator , I think that is where the issue is , most likely caused by the shorting of the wiring , it does not take a lot to overheat the windings in the stator or the stator pickup coils , or the CDI , the CDI is really hard to diagnose .... Do you have a Peak Voltage Adaptor ??? , you need one to correctly diagnose the output ....... Also , kicking over by hand may not be giving enough RPM to get a correct reading , I believe the engine needs to turn over around 600 RPM or higher to give a correct output reading ...

Also , have you tried putting the plug back in , and kicking or button starting the engine like you normally would , then pulling the plug to see if it is wet ???
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Nightcreeper222

by Nightcreeper222 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 am

I would look more closely at the CDI and/or the Stator , I think that is where the issue is , most likely caused by the shorting of the wiring , it does not take a lot to overheat the windings in the stator or the stator pickup coils , or the CDI , the CDI is really hard to diagnose .... Do you have a Peak Voltage Adaptor ??? , you need one to correctly diagnose the output ....... Also , kicking over by hand may not be giving enough RPM to get a correct reading , I believe the engine needs to turn over around 600 RPM or higher to give a correct output reading ...

Also , have you tried putting the plug back in , and kicking or button starting the engine like you normally would , then pulling the plug to see if it is wet ???
    Ok, i will have to look at that more closely. No i dont have a peak voltage adapter, i will have to get one i guess. ok i will try to get some higher RPM out of it.

I did try that because i thought maybe the plug just wasn't grounding while i was testing it but the plug came out wet so it must not always be sparking
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Did someone say Peak Voltage Adapter!
    https://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=44830

You will need a digital multimeter to actually measure the voltage.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Nightcreeper222

by Nightcreeper222 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Did someone say Peak Voltage Adapter!
    https://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=44830

You will need a digital multimeter to actually measure the voltage.
    Thanks for the info.

I do have a digital multimeter.