Forearm Pump!
  • rkegs450r

Forearm Pump!

by rkegs450r » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 am

I have had a 450R for about a year now and love it. And recently went with a KX250F as well. However, it seems on both bikes this year, I'll do a single lap and I already have forearm pump kicking in. The rest of my body could go an easy ten hard laps without getting fatigued, however, I find myself having to come back into the pits right away simply because I can't hardly hang onto the grips anymore preventing a nasty wreck. I know a lot of it can be physical, but I work out 5 days a week including forearm workouts to alleviate the problem. And still nothing helps. Am I not gripping the seat tight enough with my knees and gripping too hard with my hands???!!! Thank you.
  • dlee

by dlee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:00 am

A couple things I've done over the year's have helped me with arm pump.

Stay hydrated, I try to drink allot of water the night before and when I get up. Electrolites

Stretching the hands & wrists out seem to help as well

Message your forearms real well before you ride

Last thing is to find places on the track or trail to relax & not hold on so tight, using your legs to hold on

works for me, may or may not for you, couldn't hurt to try it
    Last edited by dlee on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I didn't vote for him

2005 CRF450X
  • rkegs450r

by rkegs450r » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:14 am

Absolutely worth a shot. I suppose warming up isn't really something I do too often that I'm guilty on. Thank you very much for the tips though!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Also , if your not on a BP meds , you could try 4 regular Aspirin about 1 hour before riding , also eat a Banana or have some Muscle Milk , it has tons of Potassium about as much as 4-6 banana's , as mentioned stay hydrated not only while/after riding but drink plenty before , you might need to change the springs on your bike , if its not sprung for your weight it will affect where it rides in the valving and if the bike is not in the right part of the stroke when it needs to be , it will be like riding a jackhammer , people often overlook this , adjusting the clickers might not always work if the springs are wrong for your weight/ability
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho