First time on dirt
  • indianFighter

First time on dirt

by indianFighter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 am

Hey fellas, I've always been a sportbike track rider, riding on professional race circuits for fun. To get my 8 yr old son interested I got myself a 2008 crf250r (as I'm a big guy) and I've always loved the art of motoX.

Have to say, it's a lot lot harder than I imagined. Extremely physical and one needs instant reactions. I'm not used to losing traction all the time and drifting through dirt.

We have a very small track here in Mumbai, I'm almost 40, large, the weather is like a damn sauna; all odds are against me but I'm loving it. Just been twice on the dirt track so far though.

Can anyone recommend a book or dvd I can get to learn the techniques of motoX dirt riding? It seems so alien from what we road race riders are used to.

By the by; the CRF is perhaps the most fun machine I've ever owned, around 20 yrs ago I had a tsr250 and that was amazing but this is something else.
    MattBennett23

by MattBennett23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 am

If you can do a moto school that could really help you. Really though, like the rest of us, the best way to learn to ride, is to go out and ride. Nothing replaces seat time. The one bad thing you have going for you is that, at least I have found, the older I get the more I think about crashing, medical bills, and time off of work. That young and reckless attitude is helpful when learning to jump and race moto. You might want to consider riding offroad and trail for a while, learning the basics at a lower speed and closer to the ground. You can learn throttle control and how to recover a bike losing traction and getting away from you. Once you ride single track, a motocross track seems huge!
  • der_berger

by der_berger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 am

yeah like it was said try to find a basic dirt bike riding school around where you live you can learn quit a bit of things that will help out i know it helped me out alot and i had been riding for years before i went and took a class. also you can check out youtube there are tons of videos with great tips and tricks that will help you out, and of course like they say pratice makes perfect, get out there and just ride. the more you ride that better you will get at controling your bike.
  • indianFighter

by indianFighter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 am

We don't have schools as such but there's a guy who has won national championship; he has agreed to help me. He's the one who got me the bike and will also coach my son, if he's interested.

We don't have many places to ride; this small track is the best thing so far. To find a trail I'll have to head out of the city; 2-3 hrs away.

Matt, you are spot on with your age comment. I ride no where fast enough as I did when I was 20; at that age one doesn't care. I've had numerous crashes, get up, dust myself off and get back on. Things are different now, it's as they say "your balls get smaller as you get older" :-)

So I've got to practice. I've downloaded some instructional stuff from the net to learn the basics of body positioning, vision, different lines, etc.