Starts and jumping a 450. Fears have taken over
  • CRFJunkie3179

Starts and jumping a 450. Fears have taken over

by CRFJunkie3179 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 am

I got a 03 crf450 and it's my first big fourstroke since I've spent my life on a 125. Anyways this thing scares me and honestly I'm afraid of starts at the gate on this thing. I've tried taking off in second and still this thing wants to put me on the ground. Also I've noticed jumping is way different on this thing. The last jump I made I went over the bars on the landing. Nothing broken just more worried now. Any suggestions? Be nice it's my first post
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: Starts and jumping a 450. Fears have taken over

by crfsonly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:48 am

CRFJunkie3179 wrote:I got a 03 crf450 and it's my first big fourstroke since I've spent my life on a 125. Anyways this thing scares me and honestly I'm afraid of starts at the gate on this thing. I've tried taking off in second and still this thing wants to put me on the ground. Also I've noticed jumping is way different on this thing. The last jump I made I went over the bars on the landing. Nothing broken just more worried now. Any suggestions? Be nice it's my first post

welcome to the group and congrats on your new bike. besides being a four stroke your 450 has about twice the power that your 125 had. power delivery is different too so you are definitely on a learning curve.

on the starts, if you are bring up the front end uncontrollably then try 3rd gear. if 3rd doesn't work for you, then you'll have slip the clutch to control traction in 2nd gear.

on jumping the biggest difference is going to be compression breaking and the additional weight of the 450 versus the 125. practice jumping on a tame table top. when heading up the face of the jump, standing in a possition where you could read your number on the front number plate, hit the speed you want to jump at before hitting the face of the jump. keep the throttle position until the rear tire leaves the face of the jump. do not chop the throttle or you will go over the bars. the reason for this is compression braking which will quickly slow the rear tire causing the front of the bike to rotate downward. not a good situation. the challenge is holding your body position up the face of the jump, not allowing the angle of the face to rotate your body backwards.

good luck and take it slow until you are comfortable.

again, welcome!

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by CRFJunkie3179 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks alot Ken I will try those tips. I never considered taking off in third, I figured that third would be too high of a gear to start with. Basically that the bike would bog. Where I live there isn't many choices on where to ride but I will find some place to practice.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am

CRFJunkie3179 wrote:Thanks alot Ken I will try those tips. I never considered taking off in third, I figured that third would be too high of a gear to start with. Basically that the bike would bog. Where I live there isn't many choices on where to ride but I will find some place to practice.

well you'll likely have to slip the clutch in either case. typically 2nd gear is a good gear for starts.

good luck and be safe.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Defboi26 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Don't use the clutch too much, it's ok to fan the clutch out few times in a row through each corners on a 2 stroke. I did that doing figure 8s on my CRF250R, only had it a week after purchasing it. Fanned it, the whole clutch kit is extemely baked. It's more baked than Bob Marley on his fourth spliff before his concert. Be careful with the clutch. On starts, it's reasonable to slip a few times to keep the front planted to the ground like crfsonly said. I suggest do some free riding on flat surface. Power through the gears hard as you can, not from dead stop, you can do rolling starts. So you can get the feel of the powerband from low to top on each gear. Then get on an actual track to ride. Another thing, don't hit the jumps like you do on a 2 stroke, that's why it sent you over bars. It got more engine braking than 2 stroke, power all the way to the lip then let off, but be prepared in case you endo. If you do, check the shock and make sure it's not on the stiff side. :) Congrats on new bike. I've own a CRF almost most of my life. They're beautiful machine. No bikes can run on unicam like Hondas!
    Forgive me for I've sinned; Hit 4th gear jump at 5th gear pinned.

05/06 CRF250R "Hybrid"
    95 Sea-Doo HX2
    09 Harley Davidson 883C
    2002 Camaro SS-R
  • ANYTHNGFAST

by ANYTHNGFAST » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Just to add on the advice already given, the biggest dif. I have found getting on a 450 from a 125 on the track is that speed is NOT required for jumps. Use the torque of the engine to throttle you over. That way you will always be front wheel high- solves going over the handlebars. Pay close attention to how they approach jumps at the Supercross level. For the most part they slow down on the approach and accelerate when they hit the face of the jump. Vastly different from having to keep the momentum on a 2smoke.
  • Lauraideaf

-

by Lauraideaf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Standing on the trails like many other thing will get more comfortable over time, like CRFs said just remember to pinch the tank with your knees. Take it slow and youll get it. You have to crawl before you walk. By the way can we call you Babs?