Clutch
    HondaRacer213

Clutch

by HondaRacer213 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:30 pm

Hey guys, I read somewhere that shifting with the clutch is the same as shifting without any throttle.
    Is that true?

And....
    How hard is it on your transmission to shift without the clutch?
    I'm not planning on doing this, but I just want to see what you guys have to say about it.

Thanks!
    dirtbikermicah

by dirtbikermicah » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:56 pm

well it cant be good for your clutch :lol: i remember when i had my 125, i got lazy sometimes and didnt use my clutch :shock: but.............dont do it :P
    Pain only lasts for seconds. glory lasts forever.
  • FLHARESCRAMBLER

by FLHARESCRAMBLER » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:19 am

I don't think that is hurts your tranny while upshifting. I imagine, though, that downshifting with no clutch would be hard on the internals.
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39 pm

Almost nobody that races regularly uses the clutch for shifting up and a lot don't use it for down shifting either.
    I've been using a Rekluse for awhile now , but when I didn't if I was racing or practicing to race I almost never used it for upshifting, and wouldn't use it for down shifting much either.
    These transmissions in the competition bikes are designed to take that ,and that's why in any modern motocrosser even as much abused as they are transmission problems are pretty rare.
    I have never had a transmission failure in any dirt bike I've ever owned...yet :lol: Doug
    zak13

by zak13 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:42 pm

when i short shift i normally dont use the clutch but when i wind it out i always use the clutch i learned that on a 3 wheeler 1st gear winding it all the way click and flip it went almost past vertical but it didnt flip thank god now i always use the clutch
    sellin my xr100
    JAWS

by JAWS » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:14 pm

I have always tried to use my clutch, but the truth is that I don't quite a bit. I have never had any issues with it either way.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:18 pm

The only time I really use the clutch, is when I'm coming to a complete stop, and when I begin moving again. Other than that, I really don't find myself using it all that much. Of course there are times when you HAVE to use it, but not too often.
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
  • BWalker508D

by BWalker508D » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:46 pm

There is no need to use the clutch when shifting. I never use the clutch to shift, only when starting/stopping and to slip it on hills and in turns. These bikes are made to be shited without the clutch. All the pros leave the start gate and never lift the throttle until the first turn and they are ripping gears the whole time.
    dirtbikermicah

by dirtbikermicah » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:56 pm

Wait, i never knew this.... so its not bad on the Transmission, and the engine to not use the clutch when shifting gears?
    And this is obviously helpful in races?
    Pain only lasts for seconds. glory lasts forever.
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:57 pm

dirtbikermicah wrote:Wait, i never knew this.... so its not bad on the Transmission, and the engine to not use the clutch when shifting gears?
    And this is obviously helpful in races?

Yes Sir!!
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
    HondaRacer213

by HondaRacer213 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:24 pm

I never knew that either! I always thought you would destroy the clutch plates by shifting without the clutch.
    Okay, just making sure, but its totally safe for me to shift without the clutch? Also, can it be done on any bike?
    usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:36 pm

I upshift my Ninja without the clutch, but use it when downshifting. On the 450r, I really don't use it much.
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Okay, just making sure, but its totally safe for me to shift without the clutch?

On any dirt bike it sure is.
    I wouldn't and don't shift without the clutch on my 1200cc street bike, because that would be putting a lot more stress on the transmission because of all the reciprocating weight. I've tried it just for the heck of it and it's "clunky".
    However, when I did club road racing on 600's then 750's I rarely used the clutch and never broke a thing in the transmission. Body work and leathers, another story. :lol: Doug
    James T Kirk

by James T Kirk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:01 pm

i've been practicing not using the clutch today.

just put the throttle down quick then shift. sure seems smooth enough with that Rotella oil from K-mart...!

fast!

kirk out