Cornering faster
  • Jason

Cornering faster

by Jason » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:28 pm

Anybody know how? This is one of my weak points that I need to work on.
    Gravity is the only reason I have scars.

2005 CRF 250R Twin Air Filter W/Sealing kit-JD Red Needle 5th Notch-175 Main Jet-Boyesen Acc Cover- JD Power Surge
    1971 Zuki 185
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:51 pm

jason...we all go slower in the turns that just about anywhere else...something about changing directions?

cornering is a pretty broad topic actually. different techniques depending on the corner...it is flat, is it rutted out, is tight or sweeping. so, you might want to focus on one type at a time and work on the skills required for that type of cornering.

obviously, the object is to carry as much speed into the turn and through the turn as possible and then accelerating out of the turn as quickly as possible. easier said than done. this means picking the fastest line through the turn, braking as late and as little as possible on the approach and then getting back into the throttle as quickly as possible while maintaining as much traction as possible.

one thing you definitely want to work on is the use of your front brake while entering the turn. you have much more breaking power with the front brake...and utilizing it while entering a turn to scrub speed is critical. harnessing this braking power will allow you to brake later and with more speed on the approach.

if the turn is rutted out you can drag the rear brake to help the rear track better in the rut.

in some turns, like a sharp flat or banked turn without ruts, you can utilize the use of the rear brake for a brake slide turn.

other turns you can use a power slide to make a sharper turn.

there a lots of different turning techniques. if you ride a one or two specific tracks count the turns and categorize them by type and which ever there are more of work on the techniques that will make you faster on that turn...work on it over and over, left and right, until it becomes second nature. then move on to the next type of turn and do the same. you'd be surprised at how much your lap times will improve.

good luck!
  • ev

by ev » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:31 pm

what kind of corners?
    two threads down "tight turns" you can read some of my brainstorming

what worked for me was a slow bike :lol:
    yes I am dead serious, my XR250 tought me how to ride fast :lol:
    she forced me to keep up momentum because I could not accelerate as hard as my competitors
    to keep up momentum you have to carry more speed thu the turn to do so you must ride "round", use other lines than you would on a more powerful bike

what do you mean you can not afford a 2nd bike? we are talking about a trashy, vintage XL250, XR200 ... whatever at home I'd look for an MTX80 or DT80, they sell for 50$ the most

one thing I still "practice" a lot, when riding trails with someone slower, is to simply NOT CLUTCH or BRAKE,
    throttle action and shifting only feels odd at first, you will go slower on straights and take turns faster than you want to, take different lines than you normally would ... fell somewhat out of controll/insecure at first, but the longer you ride like this, the more natural it feels, the more relaxed you will ride, the more little obsticles you will learn to use as traction, roots, ruts, banks will become your 'friends' not something to kick you off course
  • Jason

by Jason » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I might try the slower bike method. I'm rebuilding a 71 Suzuki TS 185. It doesn't have the suspension to hit any jumps though. The track has a "trails" section that is part of the track I might not kill my self with the out dated scooter.

2005 CRF 250R Twin Air Filter W/Sealing kit-JD Red Needle 5th Notch-175 Main Jet-Boyesen Acc Cover- JD Power Surge
    1971 Zuki 185
  • Jason

by Jason » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I tried most of it out this weekend on an Arenacross track. That was a new experience (2nd gear, no shifting and very technical). I focused on my body position and tried to carry as much speed through the corners to get over the jumps after them. My girlfriend says she can see improvement.

1971 Zuki 185
  • ev

by ev » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:52 pm

=D>
  • redrider911

by redrider911 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:03 pm

good job!!

ya gotta post pictures!
  • Jason

by Jason » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:46 am

The pictures from the race didn't turn out too good. I'm still trying to get one still off the video. I'll get some from the practice up today or tomorrow.

1971 Zuki 185
  • ev

by ev » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:47 am

ev wrote:=D>

:cry:
    your smilies are on strike, Ken
  • crf_rider.com

by crf_rider.com » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:53 pm

yeah picking a good line and staying on the gas tank during a turn will make you a lot quicker also pick a lower gear for u turn or tight turns.
    Crf250R
    run um hard run um stock
    drtbkr

by drtbkr » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:26 pm

Main thing to turning faster; bermed or flat: KEEP YOUR ELBOWS UP! This will pull the 'up' end of the bars towards the sky, thus keeping the front wheel following the line your eyes are focused on and decreasing the 'pushing/pulling' on the bars when the elbows are slouched. Put the inside leg up by the fork to weight the front end (giving traction/compression). Lean the bike as far over as the apex of the turn dictates (ELBOWS UP), steady throttle, roost, and away! Takes a while learning the elbows up position, but, soon it will become habit. Turning will become one of your favorite moves.
    CRF450X6
    '98 XR440R

• PIT CREW DAD

by PIT CREW DAD » Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 am

I am by no means good at cornering, but the best advice I have received so far is to concentrate on position and technique. If you are executing correctly, speed will come.
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon May 05, 2008 5:55 pm

PIT CREW DAD wrote:I am by no means good at cornering, but the best advice I have received so far is to concentrate on position and technique. If you are executing correctly, speed will come.

I agree PCDad.

I think going to the track and standing by a corner and just watching guys will help a bunch. There will be a marked difference between the fast guys and the slow guys.

You can learn alot with your eyes.
    marks crf

by marks crf » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:00 am

look ahead not at the berm
  • hondapunk53

by hondapunk53 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:16 pm

i used to have the same exact problem i was affraid to go through corners fast if you have property build a bunch of diffrent kinds of corners and set a goal for a time when you reach that time do somthing lke make a jump for yourself or somthing that you like