stamina and flexibility
  • ev

stamina and flexibility

by ev » Fri May 28, 2004 8:41 am

do you guys just hop on your bike and go :?:
    or do you do special workout for dirt-riding :?:
    do you lift weights only, do cardio only or build muscle and stamina :?:
    do you stretch for more flexibility in case your bike forces you to do splits or do you trust your luck on that? :?:
    what kind of sport do you practice except dirt-biking? :?:
    do you have any relaxing hobby-horses, too? :?:
    Robo

by Robo » Fri May 28, 2004 5:43 pm

:arrow: do you just hop on your bike and go? Yes, after it warms up a little.
    :arrow: do you do special workout for dirt-riding? Not really, I workout cause I'm getting old. :roll:
    :arrow: do you lift weights only, do cardio only or build muscle and stamina? I workout a couple of times a week with free weights, do 60 to 100 push-ups a day, and run the stairs every night at work for my cardio. Also, I'm currently on permenent high protein, no (low) carb, low fat diet - to keep my weight in check.
    :arrow: do you stretch for more flexibility in case your bike forces you to do splits or do you trust your luck on that? Trust my luck.
    :arrow: what kind of sport do you practice except dirt-biking? Paintball & mountian biking.
    :arrow: do you have any relaxing hobby-horses, too? No, not yet :wink:
  • ev

by ev » Fri May 28, 2004 6:14 pm

Robo wrote:I workout cause I'm getting old. :roll:

really? :lol:
    I am old but never thougth of it as a reason for workout, but it is a good excuse not to for me :lol:
    but it is good to find some adults around here, at DirtTrails most boys turn out to be 12 to 15 :roll:
    Robo

by Robo » Fri May 28, 2004 8:52 pm

lol! I find that as I get older it is much easier to find excuses not to workout. Funny how that works. I guess I workout to fight the aging process. That whole growing old gracefully thing just isn't for me...
  • ev

by ev » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:27 am

define 'old'
    Robo

by Robo » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:48 pm

Here's how Webster sees it: 8)

Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English eald; akin to Old High German alt old, Latin alere to nourish, alescere to grow, altus high, deep
    1 a : dating from the remote past : ANCIENT <old traditions> b : persisting from an earlier time <an old ailment> <they brought up the same old argument> c : of long standing <an old friend>
    2 a : distinguished from an object of the same kind by being of an earlier date <many still used the old name> b capitalized : belonging to an early period in the development of a language or literature <Old Persian>
    3 : having existed for a specified period of time <a girl three years old>
    4 : of, relating to, or originating in a past era <old chronicles record the event>
    5 a : advanced in years or age <an old man> b : showing the characteristics of age <looked old at 20>
    6 : EXPERIENCED <an old trooper speaking of the last war>
    7 : FORMER <his old students>
    8 a : showing the effects of time or use : WORN, AGED <old shoes> b : well advanced toward reduction by running water to the lowest level possible -- used of topographic features c : no longer in use : DISCARDED <old rags> d : of a grayish or dusty color <old mauve> e : TIRESOME <gets old fast>
    9 a : long familiar <same old story> <good old Joe> b -- used as an intensive <a high old time> c -- used to express an attitude of affection or amusement <a big old dog> <flex the old biceps> <any old time>
    synonyms: OLD, ANCIENT, VENERABLE, ANTIQUE, ANTIQUATED, ARCHAIC, OBSOLETE

I turned 41 a few hours ago. Funny, I don't feel that old but that's how old my drivers license says I am.

I really like the synonyms - too funny :lol:
  • ev

by ev » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:08 am

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Robo
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:45 am

so...i'm an "old" guy too...and pre-ride prepartion and overall conditioning is getting more important every day. that's why it's a shame that i don't do much of either. i'm so pressed for time when i do take the opportunity to ride that i usually fake a stretch or two and then jump on and go.

i do other sports though besides and i spend a lot of time fooling myself into thinking i'm 'cross-training'.

what i should do is get back into mountain biking/cycling (that's a true cross-training activity) and running.

crf's only
    Robo

by Robo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:44 pm

ev, Thanks it's been an interesting one so far - and it's gonna get better when the wife gets home from work :mrgreen: ... Right now my 450 is calling my name. Gotta go, it's time to ride 8)