Any tips for teaching son to ride?
    MATUCHI

Any tips for teaching son to ride?

by MATUCHI » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:48 pm

My son has a birthday coming up and I decided to get him a little CRF50F. It's a barely used 2005 and it came with some training wheels. It looks brand new and runs strong, as I could get second gear wheelies out of it without even trying. I'm going to go easy and be as positive as I can, but I sometimes have my moments. What worked best for you dads out there when training your kids?
    Below is a shot of him sitting on his new bike.

• taylorrep

by taylorrep » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08 pm

WIDE OPEN FIELD!! Worked well for teaching my son, his first dirt bike was a CRF100F he rode it for 7 months now we are on a 150R/B. Good luck an be patient as I learned in baseball nothing good comes from screaming!

Daniel
    MATUCHI

by MATUCHI » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:25 pm

That's exactly where I'm taking him.
    mikey526

by mikey526 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:26 pm

The throttle is your friend!!

Ok well I'm not a dad, but I have a dad, and I can tell you the biggest thing (at least from racing perspective) is that I ride better when I'm not worried my dad will be all pissed if I don't get the holeshot or something. My friends dad used to get on his case and get frustrated with him if he wasn't riding well, and once he stopped and just told him he rode good or that he'd get them next time he started riding a lot better. You have to keep it fun for the kid other wise he will hate the sport. I know he's not at a racing level yet, and maybe he never will want to/ be able to, but keep it fun for him no matter what.

In terms of actually riding.. I'd say get him to do all the right stuff now and he'll be amazing in the future. :D
    frank821

by frank821 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:30 pm

X2 on the patience.....

My little guy started on a KTM pro Sr, when he was 6, alot of bike, but a CRF or PW would have been too small. He took his time, but jumped right in... The most important thing you can do is bundle em up in all the necessary safety equipment and let him have fun.. You will be surprised at how quickly these little guys take to the dirt!
    Being a "moto" dad with 2 kids racing, we have seen all the parents at the track yelling, screaming and putting thier kids down in front of anybody, I can tell you that will get you nowhere! Let him enjoy it at his pace and you will have a mini K-Dub in a few years!

And congrats to the newest member of Crf's Only!
    dont forget to post some pics riding!
    05' CRF250R
    Pro Taper bars
    Excel Wheels
    Boyesen QS2
    AP Mod
    Kibblewhite Valves/Springs
    Pro-Action Suspension

www.pure-powersports.com
    frank821

by frank821 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:34 pm

One more thing.....

I learned this from a fellow dad with a little guy, who is now a big kid and haulin a$$..

Figure 8's until he feels like he is going to be dizzy... over and over and again.....
    the hardest thing to learn is how to lean that bike over and get through a turn without slowing down. Bad habits are hard to break, so let his brain soak up the right way to ride right from the start and it will make it much more fun!
    05' CRF250R
    Pro Taper bars
    Excel Wheels
    Boyesen QS2
    AP Mod
    Kibblewhite Valves/Springs
    Pro-Action Suspension

www.pure-powersports.com
    MATUCHI

by MATUCHI » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Cool! All good advice. I'm not a pushy father that makes my son feel bad, I'm more laid back dad and feel he will come along at his own pace. He has been sitting on my bikes for years but has not asked for one of his own, although I've been dying to get him one for a long time.
    BigD

by BigD » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Way to go Matuchi, let me know how it works out.
    I am finally taking my daughter out this weekend. We have an old PW-50 2 stroke.
    She has been doing figure 8's out in front of the house, but just walking it with the engine off. I didn't want her to learn on the asphalt, but I thought feeling the weight of the bike and trying to control it would help, even with the engine off.
    We'll see how she does this weekend.......
    2006 CRF 250x
    JD Jet, GPR Stabilizer, Bafflectomy, no backfire screen, 13/51 gearing, oil slick, smoke screen, heat seeking missles, twin 50 cal.'s, etc...

by 124 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:53 am

Nice job on the purchase Matuchi! Where you been hiding anyway???

On the advise, protection #1. Make it so when he does fall he doesn't get scraped up or bruised. Make light of the crash (after checking for injuries ofcourse), but I always joked about how crashing is kinda cool. The kid took it well anyway... :roll:

Use the throttle screw to limit at first. Other than that, it's really up to him. He looks like he's got a size advantage to most of the kids that start on the 50's, so a good start there. Walk with him a bit at first.

But honestly, if he can ride a pedal bike without training wheels, it's all the same. He'll be fine. Get him used to the controls and run some fire drills with the brakes, both front and rear once he gets the "twist to go" routine down.

HAVE FUN!!!
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    bocephus450x

by bocephus450x » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:59 am

2 things ...... be positive & patient
    There's no right way to eat a Rhesus

by 124 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:57 am

bocephus450x wrote:2 things ...... be positive & patient

:shock: Wha?? Screaming and yelling at them doesn't work? Shiite... ;)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • Trogdor

by Trogdor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:29 pm

You can teach him the very initial basics with lots of patients. What he really needs to be able to learn to ride, is another kid his age and similar bike who he can ride with and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride ride and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride. Seriously, only one of his peers will push and motivate him in ways you will never be able to do.
  • mvandenburg

by mvandenburg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:20 am

My son was 6 when he started riding and I took him to the El Mirage dry lake bed because it was flat and easy to learn. I taught him how to use the brakes to stop (he wanted to drag his feet) and made him practice this for a while before just letting him ride. He just rode in circles for a while and gradually made his way deeper and deeper into the trails and hills.

Just leave it in 2nd gear...no need to go too fast yet.

Have fun!

by 124 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 am

Trogdor wrote:Seriously, only one of his peers will push and motivate him in ways you will never be able to do.

Good point. And very true.
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    MATUCHI

by MATUCHI » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 am

bocephus450x wrote:2 things ...... be positive & patient

I guess rooting for the Dodgers and Rams have taught you that well weed-hopper............:twisted:
    Last edited by MATUCHI on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.