trails close to San Diego??
  • lilAK-on-a-450

trails close to San Diego??

by lilAK-on-a-450 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:26 am

Im looking for some trail riding to test out my new crf450x. Anyone know of anything with water crossings or anything like that??? Anywhere within an hours worth driving of San Diego? Ocotillo just hit 118 degrees this weekend and I wasnt down for a heat stroke.

Aaron
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:34 am

Anza Borrego has some great trails, especially in the north part of the park. But thats in spring and fall, summer is just a biotch.
  • lilAK-on-a-450

by lilAK-on-a-450 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 am

Yea Borrego is pretty fun. Damn wish there were more places to ride that were close to home :(
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 am

We've got some good riding up here in northern LA.

Rowher Flats and Hungry Valley. Come on up sometime.
    Danny

by Danny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Corral Canyon is out by lake Morena.I haven't been there in years but,There was a post about it not long ago

Danny
  • 737Captain

by 737Captain » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:41 pm

Simple; head down to the Baja coast. Couple hours away, and not too many bozos. Anza-Borrego is for street legal bikes only, and of course far too hot currently. Big Bear has some decent green sticker riding. Gorman is a zoo of L.A. yahoos and quad riders, however, the adjoining Los Padres forest has some nice bike trails. Best riding this time of year is Baja (west coast), and the east side of the Sierras, such as Kennedy Meadows and Mammoth/June Lake.
    2005 CRF 100
    2005 CRF 150
    2005 CRF 230
    2004 CRF 250X
    1997 KDX 220R
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:13 pm

737Captain wrote:Simple; head down to the Baja coast. Couple hours away, and not too many bozos. Anza-Borrego is for street legal bikes only, and of course far too hot currently. Big Bear has some decent green sticker riding. Gorman is a zoo of L.A. yahoos and quad riders, however, the adjoining Los Padres forest has some nice bike trails. Best riding this time of year is Baja (west coast), and the east side of the Sierras, such as Kennedy Meadows and Mammoth/June Lake.

Lets see here... Baja is full of banditos who'll take your bike or cut your throat....ask Nowazzu or JuanOCP...I believe parts of Anza Borrego is open to all Green stickered bikes...Gorman (Hungry Valley) is a zoo only on weekends, during the week its a ghost town.

Other than that you're right on the money.
    Last edited by Asmith on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • 737Captain

by 737Captain » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:55 am

[quote="~
    Lets see here... Baja is full of banditos who'll take your bike or cut your throat....ask Nowazzu or JuanOCP...I believe parts of Anza Borrego is open to all Green stickered bikes...Gorman (Hungry Valley) is a zoo only on weekends, during the week its a ghost town.

Other than that you're right on the money.[/quote]

Hmmm... Not quite correct. Anza-Borrego is open to street legal vehicles ONLY. You may be mistaking it for Ocotillo Wells State OHV Park. The claim that Baja is "full of banditos" is pretty broad, not particularly accurate, but amusing. Most folks I know would feel safer riding in Baja than at Gorman. My experience indicates far more LA bozos up at Gorman, than Mexican "banditos" in the Baja. If you haven't really done Baja, then you just wouldn't understand...
    2005 CRF 100
    2005 CRF 150
    2005 CRF 230
    2004 CRF 250X
    1997 KDX 220R
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:00 am

737Captain wrote:

The claim that Baja is "full of banditos" is pretty broad, not particularly accurate, but amusing. Most folks I know would feel safer riding in Baja than at Gorman. My experience indicates far more LA bozos up at Gorman, than Mexican "banditos" in the Baja. If you haven't really done Baja, then you just wouldn't understand...

Actually Cappy, I've done the Baja 7 times, so I do understand, better than you, I'm sure.

Plus we've gone down there playing about 25-30 times.

I haven't run into any LA bozo's in Gorman, just the SD ones. Stay down there, we don't need you or your clown shoes up here. Good luck in Mexico.
  • 737Captain

by 737Captain » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Relax, Agent... Nothing here to get worked up about. Really.
    2005 CRF 100
    2005 CRF 150
    2005 CRF 230
    2004 CRF 250X
    1997 KDX 220R
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:19 pm

737Captain wrote:Relax, Agent... Nothing here to get worked up about. Really.

Not worked up Cap'n.

Don't make me send some agents down there!!!!

Happy trails.

AS
  • bajaexplorer

Banditos in Baja

by bajaexplorer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:21 pm

U-T, local rag, just came out with this article: http://cfx.signonsandiego.com/news/mexi ... 4baja.html

Sad but true. I ride the northern triangle (Mikes to La Rumerosa to Tecate) and have never had that problem. My theory is that the crime tends to center itself around the big population areas and then the small communities that have lost their ability for self-sustainment i.e., collapsed fishing economy. Coupled with the presentation of high value items during times of high consumption of alcohol and drugs, Friday and Saturday nights. Then compound those factors by the problem of narco traficantes paying mules with drugs instead of money and you have a disposible labor in an already depressed economy presented with items of high value readily available at the probability of being caught very, very low and.....bingo, crazy thieving!!

737Captain wrote:
    ~ wrote:Lets see here... Baja is full of banditos who'll take your bike or cut your throat....ask Nowazzu or JuanOCP...I believe parts of Anza Borrego is open to all Green stickered bikes...Gorman (Hungry Valley) is a zoo only on weekends, during the week its a ghost town.

Other than that you're right on the money.

Hmmm... Not quite correct. Anza-Borrego is open to street legal vehicles ONLY. You may be mistaking it for Ocotillo Wells State OHV Park. The claim that Baja is "full of banditos" is pretty broad, not particularly accurate, but amusing. Most folks I know would feel safer riding in Baja than at Gorman. My experience indicates far more LA bozos up at Gorman, than Mexican "banditos" in the Baja. If you haven't really done Baja, then you just wouldn't understand...
    DarthBEWD

by DarthBEWD » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 am

Have you tried Lark Canyon? A little further than Corral, but totally fun
    Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail. If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all
  • bajaexplorer

Lark Canyon

by bajaexplorer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:25 pm

If lark cyn., is McCain Valley, last I heard it was closed because of fire danger. And Corral cyn./Lake Morena is closed because of the fires.

That leaves the dez and baja for riding that's close to SDers.