2014 CRF450R won't return to idle.
  • Stringer7

2014 CRF450R won't return to idle.

by Stringer7 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi All,
    I recently purchased a 2014 450 and when I pull up after going for a ride it stays reving high. If I let the clutch out a little while still in gear then pull back in it drops the revs back to normal.

Before last ride I replaced all oils, spark plug (looked normal no whitening) and added injector cleaner but still the same problem.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers
    JimDirt

Re: 2014 CRF450R won't return to idle.

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What it sounds like is the throttle cables are mis-adjusted .... at the Throttle Body , (remove the tank) you will see a adjuster nut on each cable , one for the push cable and one for the pull cable , turn your bars all the way left and then right , twisting the throttle at each end , if it sticks or returns slowly then check for the cable binding , then loosen the 2 cables at the adjusters and repeat , if the throttle snaps back , that is the issue , , then you will just have to adjust the cables so there is slack at the throttle tube when at full lock each direction , then tighten the locknut down and you should be good ..... any fine tuning of the cable can be done at the throttle housing after that , but the main setting needs to be at the throttle body first ........

Hopefully that fixes your issue ... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Stringer7

by Stringer7 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:50 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What it sounds like is the throttle cables are mis-adjusted .... at the Throttle Body , (remove the tank) you will see a adjuster nut on each cable , one for the push cable and one for the pull cable , turn your bars all the way left and then right , twisting the throttle at each end , if it sticks or returns slowly then check for the cable binding , then loosen the 2 cables at the adjusters and repeat , if the throttle snaps back , that is the issue , , then you will just have to adjust the cables so there is slack at the throttle tube when at full lock each direction , then tighten the locknut down and you should be good ..... any fine tuning of the cable can be done at the throttle housing after that , but the main setting needs to be at the throttle body first ........

Hopefully that fixes your issue ... ;)
    You sir are a legend.

Fixed the issue and feels like a different bike to ride. It had no free play in the throttle at all.

Cheers heaps.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:17 am

No problem ... Glad I could help ... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho