2020crf 450r not starting
  • Austin15

2020crf 450r not starting

by Austin15 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:54 pm

I hit the start button and the starter only spins for a 1/8th of a second i have checked the starter by connecting the post its good replaced starter relay and cracked the case to look at the starter reduction gear and the gear is still good batter is at 12 to 13volts im lost help the bike has like 15 hrs on it brand new
    JimDirt

Re: 2020crf 450r not starting

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:19 pm

I replied to your post in the other topics , but I am thinking it has something to do with the kill/map switch if it started this issue after washing the bike ...., as I mentioned in the other topic , I use a 1 gallon zip lock bag over the right bar so it covers the kill/map switch , then once I am done washing my bike (2020) , I use my air compressor to blow off all connections , as well as around the kill/map switch , have not had any issues with starting in 74+ hours ...

It could also be the start button itself , though I have not heard of one going bad yet , it could be that it also got water in it (yea a dirt bike you can't get wet #-o ) and is intermittently working ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Austin15

by Austin15 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:23 pm

Yeah i will check the kill switch and let u know
  • Austin15

by Austin15 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 pm

Was not the kill switch
  • Austin15

by Austin15 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 pm

Was not the kill switch its making the same sound as when the starter reduction gear does when it goes bad
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:26 pm

So the starter is free spinning when it stops cranking the engine , so it kind of whirrs ?? , like it is disengaging and the starter is still turning but the engine stops turning ?? , then once in a while it engages and starts right away ??

With 15 hours , I would call the dealer and tell them what it is doing , I know the 18's were having some issues with the starter clutch , but I have not heard about the same issues with the 19's or 20's ... I have had zero issues with my 20 , never a issue at all with running , 74+ hours , and the only issue I have had is I wore completely thru the chain guide ... I talked to Kris Keefer about it and he told me he only gets about 30 hours on his sliders and guides , I have gone thru 3 chains , and am on my 3rd set of tires .... but not one hiccup with electrical , or engine ... and like I mentioned , the only "issues" I have heard is the same since the 17 , you get the kill/map switches wet and they short out and have to be replaced .... other than that , I think the 20 is better than the 21 as I have ridden the 19 , 20 , 21

But I would definitely contact the dealer , or even contact Honda themselves and see if/what they will do (try the dealer first) , it should not be having any starting issues , especially with that little bit of hours , if the Dealer is cool , they should look into it and hopefully get Honda to warranty it ...

I would recommend this bike to anyone ... it is hands down the best bike I have ever owned (I will be 62 next week and have not ridden anything better in any brand) , just set the sag at 108 , put the forks flush with the clamps and use Kris Keefer's settings for the clickers , and if you are over the recommended weight (I am 190) get the next up in springs (0.52/5.8) so you don't bottom out on landings and G-outs , it is even plusher with the stiffer springs ... I also put a flywheel weight on it to get rid of the teeter totter when going into and out of corners (it has way too much compression braking) , and re-geared it 14/52 ( am just switching it to 14/51 now to mellow it out a bit after I put the Titanium Yosh system on it

But back to the point .... This is a really good bike , and it must be some odd defect that got thru with the starter one way bearing or something , like maybe it was a leftover gear from the 18's , but I would double check the one way gear and make sure it is actually locking up (it should lock in one direction and freewheel in the other) , if you can't get it to lock then it might be the issue since you pretty much checked everything else in the starting system , my guess would be the one way bearing/gear
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Austin15

by Austin15 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:50 am

Yes kinda i hit thw start button and the starter engages spins all the gears correctly but only for a1/8th of a second