2008 CRF450 1/4 Turn Throttle
  • 08ISGR8

2008 CRF450 1/4 Turn Throttle

by 08ISGR8 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:05 am

Just wondering what the best options would be to reduce the amount of throttle turning would be on my 2008 CRF450.

I am finding it hard to hold a proper arm position and hold the throttle where I need it to carry speed over ramps.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    JimDirt

Re: 2008 CRF450 1/4 Turn Throttle

by JimDirt » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:38 pm

What bars do you have on it ?? , and are they in the forward or rear position ??? , are you over 6 ft. tall ?? , are you exceptionally short ?? , what exactly is the issue ?? ........ Are you getting arm pump ?? , are you getting sore wrists ?? ....... A bit more detail as to the actual issue and your setup might help decipher the issue ..... the downside to quicker throttle on a 4 stroke is torque , you get way more torque than you really want , then it makes you hold on tighter , then you get arm pump , or numb hands , or just tire more easily , making blood flow reduced , which makes for more arm pump and numb hands ....

Not sure what the goal is ..... but 1/4 turn throttles are out there , it is just a question of if that will solve your issue

Also , what position are your levers in ??? , if they are straight out , you will have loads of issues , especially if you stand a lot and especially if you stand , and you are tall ..... , I am thinking this is more of a setup issue than a throttle issue

I am 5' 9"ish , my levers are around the 7 o clock position , / , <<< like that , I stand the majority of the time and I also have a severely damaged wrist that does not bend at all (clutch side , luckily) , so I can't bend my wrist up/down , so I keep both my levers the same and it makes for easy riding , the only arm pump I get is from the 60 hp my bike puts out ..... I ride moto and off road (2 different bikes , and have them set up pretty much the same as far as ergo's go ... , makes it fluid to transition from one bike to the other , no adapting at all , just get on and ride ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:24 pm

A 1/4 turn throttle sounds like it would make it to touchy especially in the rough.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • 08ISGR8

by 08ISGR8 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:00 am

The problem I want to fix is I need about 20% more throttle with the wrist articulation I can comfortably get.

I don’t exactly need to get a 1/4 turn throttle but I do need a little more than what I have currently.

I’m pretty out of shape honestly. I know I should be standing around the majority of the track but I can’t.

My wrists are fine id say but I also can’t hold on to the bike anymore after about 3 laps.

I just assumed 1/2 my problem is that I need to do some conditioning work unrelated to the bike. But if you have any suggestions to help I’ll take those also

My levers are a little high from what I like and I will be adjusting them lower next time out. Maybe that will help with the overall grip on the throttle? I guess I never thought about it that much. I’d say they are at about 3:00 (facing straight out or level)
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:01 pm

I have tended to ride mostly sitting so line up the levers to be opposite side in line with my arms so probably 4-5 o'clock looking from right side of bike.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas