2010 450r starting issues
  • mattchew1296

2010 450r starting issues

by mattchew1296 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:49 pm

Happy new year!

I though I was done working on my 2010 crf450r. It was having starting issues. Turned out the stator was bad, so I replaced it also put in a new capacitor, and it got a new fuel pump last season.

Everything seemed to work afterwards but now it sat 1 week without starting and now all it will do is fire and die. If I time it correctly and kick it over and have a little throttle it will run, not smoothly, but die if I let go
    I just cleaned injector and fuel tank and added new fuel. Seems to be alot better. But when it stalls It still won't start up for awhile.

This was the issue to begin with. I really need some assistance as I was hoping to ride this coming weekend.
  • Back2-2

Re: 2010 450r starting issues

by Back2-2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 am

Here are the first simple things to check; good solid ground connections, spark plug and spark plug lead and coil.
    From what you describe it could also be pointing to the injector and or fuel pump. After ruling out the electronic easy items I would be looking into what appears from your symptoms to be fuel related and those are the main two items. Only other item would be the ECU but probably not.

This is a long shot - But if you believe it to be fuel related as in the injector try dumping in some Seafaom. I'm not a miracle in a bottle person but the Seafoam product has some pretty impressive results for people. It may clean the injector that could have some build up.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • mattchew1296

by mattchew1296 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:02 am

Here are the first simple things to check; good solid ground connections, spark plug and spark plug lead and coil.
    From what you describe it could also be pointing to the injector and or fuel pump. After ruling out the electronic easy items I would be looking into what appears from your symptoms to be fuel related and those are the main two items. Only other item would be the ECU but probably not.

This is a long shot - But if you believe it to be fuel related as in the injector try dumping in some Seafaom. I'm not a miracle in a bottle person but the Seafoam product has some pretty impressive results for people. It may clean the injector that could have some build up.
    I have a new sparkplug in it and have confirmed there is a strong spark from coil. I going to check all connections again, but it's seem to be intermittent. I put a new fuel pump in last season. Last night I removed the injector and cleaned it, as well as the lines and emptied the tank and cleaned it and filled with fresh gas. After a few kicks it fired up and ran. But it did stall on me a couple times when reving the throttle. After this happens it goes back to the same symptoms. I'm going to try it again this morning and see if it starts up without issue.

One other question I have is the fast idle knob, does it only adjust when it is pushed all the way in?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:32 pm

Well it sounds like you are doing some decent trouble shooting. Not sure how you cleaned the injector as they really require a very high pressure to activate and strong cleaner to cut the build up. It could be that your fuel pump is not keeping up with the fuel demand and you are literally running out of workable fuel pressure & flow. Check valve to maintain pressure of system maybe ?
    While checking the electrical - Trace down the ground connections and be certain they are clean and secure. While what you just described does not point towards electrical initially it always is important to check grounds. I seem some crazy stuff go back to go ground connections after hours & days trouble shooting other thought to be bad items.

As for the fast idle or enrichment you have - I cannot answer that, as I do not know your machine. Owners manual should cover the cold staring and fast idle adjustments. Sorry.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • mattchew1296

by mattchew1296 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Well it sounds like you are doing some decent trouble shooting. Not sure how you cleaned the injector as they really require a very high pressure to activate and strong cleaner to cut the build up. It could be that your fuel pump is not keeping up with the fuel demand and you are literally running out of workable fuel pressure & flow. Check valve to maintain pressure of system maybe ?
    While checking the electrical - Trace down the ground connections and be certain they are clean and secure. While what you just described does not point towards electrical initially it always is important to check grounds. I seem some crazy stuff go back to go ground connections after hours & days trouble shooting other thought to be bad items.

As for the fast idle or enrichment you have - I cannot answer that, as I do not know your machine. Owners manual should cover the cold staring and fast idle adjustments. Sorry.

Update!!

So far it seems to be good. I re checked all connections. And tightened any ground I could find. Tried it and ran little better. emptied the fuel tank, cleaned filter and all lines including the injector . Put in fresh premium fuel and some seafoam for added injector cleaning. And now it seems to run without issue. Thx!
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:32 am

That is good news. Thanks for letting us know. We always like to hear of good results.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD