2020 CRF450RX Starting Problems
  • mistr450

2020 CRF450RX Starting Problems

by mistr450 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 am

Hi all, I just recently got a 2020 CRF450RX and I have rode it a lot, and have never had this problem. I stopped to take a break on one of my trails, and when I went to start it back up it would not start. I didn't give it gas, I did give it gas, I waited and basically tried everything... All the times I tried I maybe had the starter button down for a total of 7 sec if even that... And then the starter wouldn't turn like the Battery was dead or something. Which doesn't make since to me.. And as you know the RX doesn't come with a kickstart... I ended up pushing it out and bump started it off. But I even ran it for awhile and kept riding and then I tried to start it again and the starter just didn't turn again.. Also The bike has barely 6 hours on the thing. Please help!!
    JimDirt

Re: 2020 CRF450RX Starting Problems

by JimDirt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:23 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Are you getting any blink codes on the switch when you do have it running ???

My first guess would be a loose ground somewhere , or a plug connection I personally take all plug-ins , and use Dielectric Grease
    , it keeps moisture out and keeps connections from corroding ........ You did not dump it in a stream did you ??? , there was (not sure if they fixed it) a lot of issues with the kill/map switch getting wet and grounding out/failing , but usually with that , the bike would not run at all until it was replaced ......... so back to my first guess , (not a guarantee) is that a ground or plugged connection has worked its way loose somewhere within the starter circuit .....that is where I would start my search , unless as mentioned , it is throwing a code ..... The Owners Manual you got with the bike has a wiring diagram in the back pages , follow the start circuit and check each connection and ground ...... the only other possibilities that come to mind , is the starter solenoid or starter brushes have gone bad for some reason (sometimes a starter brush will break and you will not get a good enough connection to turn the starter , but usually the starter works but is dragging bad) .... but the focus should be in the start circuit ..... from the button , to the starter itself and everything in between , including the battery and all connections and grounds , the battery should have minimum 12.4 volts just sitting and if you crank the engine it should not drop below 11 volts at worst , if not , a cell could have gone bad and it won't have enough juice to turn the starter ........................ Report back with findings ..... :-k 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mistr450

by mistr450 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Okay.. I took a short video of what is happening. (Sorry was struggling a little lol)
    I will trace the starter circuit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVTsI0vGd9M
  • mistr450

by mistr450 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Okay I traced all the electrics from the starter button to the starter and everything looks fine.. No nics or ground cables unplugged.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 pm

OK , from what I am hearing in that video , either you are momentarily touching the start button , or the starter is not engaging and just spinning , in other words , you hit the start button and the starter turns till you let off the button , but it is not actually engaging and turning the engine over .. Correct ??

If that is the case , then I would suspect the one way bearing in behind the clutch not locking in , this is what engages the starter to actually turn the engine over

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.co ... G%20CLUTCH
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • mistr450

by mistr450 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Cant see in the video, but I was holding down the starter button. It stopped automatically. The starter doesnt turn anymore then what it does in the video when you hold down the button.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm

So was it engaging ??? , as it sounded to me like just the starter was spinning , but not connecting and turning the engine over .... in which case I would say it is the Starter Clutch which I posted a link to ..... if it was connecting and actually turning the engine over then I need to know , as it did not sound like it was to me ... , since I am not there , I can only tell you what I heard ......

Also , disconnect the kill switch and try starting it , if it starts then the map/kill switch is the issue .......

You can also try to bypass the starter relay , by locating the 2 main battery posts on it , and shorting across with a screwdriver (one side comes from the battery , the other goes to the starter) , it should crank as long as you short the terminals , if it starts then , it might be the starter solenoid possibly not giving full juice .... what bothers me is the fact that you said you were holding the button and it stopped cranking , as far as I know , it should crank till you let off , I am unaware of any limiting function with the starter , it has been a while since I rode a 2019 , but as far as I remember it cranked till I let off and/or it started , so that leads to the button itself , the starter Solenoid or a plug connector to it
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 pm

That bike is too new and nice to guess on. It is a $9,000 bike new. Take it to the dealer, and let them diagnose this problem on your expensive bike. There is a time to bite the bullet and pay the pros.
  • Motochris16

by Motochris16 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:07 pm

I read this post I watch the videos has anyone come up with the solution for the problem? I am I have a 2020 Honda CRF 450 R works edition with 30 hours on it my bike is having the same problem.Itā€™s almost as if Starter is getting half the power it should not sure but if anyone has any insight on this problem can you please post...thanks
  • williamrstory

by williamrstory » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:06 am

Hello,

I purchased a 2020 CRF450R in September of 2020 and I was having this same issue. When I tried to start the bike it would engage for a brief second and not say anything. Come too find out it was a starter reduction gear issues. This is a common problem in these bikes. I am having this replaced now at the dealership. I was told that the issue comes when I start the bike I was on the gas, which allowed back pressure on the gears in the starter clutch system. To avoid this happening again, I will not twist the throttle when cranking it.

I hope this helps, as I know that I was dumb founded when this happened. I was in the middle of the woods when it happened and it made for a long push back.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:55 am

Welcome to the site williamrstory !! \:D/
    Thanks for the great first post ..... I have not had this issue with my 20 yet , but I will heed the advice and keep off the throttle when starting ..... but to clarify , you are saying it is not the one way gear correct ?? , but the cluster of gears ??? ... are teeth breaking or wearing off ?? , what is the exact cause and parts involved ??? .... As this info can help the OP , as well as others who might encounter this issue .... :-k

Parts Fiche for reference .. https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.co ... G%20CLUTCH
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Bigd85yota

by Bigd85yota » Mon May 24, 2021 6:53 am

The starter reduction gear is two gears pressed together. There are no splines where the gears bound together. So when it goes bad it is the smooth surfaces slipping. Mine went bad and I could spin the gears by hand because the where so loose.
  • gasuzaurio

by gasuzaurio » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:19 pm

was the problem solved?
  • Cornel Ferreira

by Cornel Ferreira » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:43 am

Guys I have the same problem with my 2020 450RX, Like the video on YouTube. Can someone please give me the solutionšŸ„²
  • Odox

by Odox » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:01 pm

I have 2020 crf450rwe and have same problem so I end it up to add momentary switch to by pass a 12 volt to low current starter relay and I just call it problem solved