2005 crf 450 looking for recommendations on upgrades to do
  • matt mattison

2005 crf 450 looking for recommendations on upgrades to do

by matt mattison » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 am

Just recently got a 2005 crf 450 looking for recommendations on upgrades to do ? I have already upgraded the stock tank to a ims  3.2 gallon and swapped out the stock seat for a seat concepts , also had front and rear suspension adjusted and set up for trail ridding and my weight done by 707 racing suspension. Also added acerbis  bark busters, and pro taper handle bars and rental front and rear sprockets. Boyseen supper cooler and impeller installed with ziptye coolant, I will be adding the FMF exhuast and FMF Mega bomb header pipe this next week and was going to uncork it and have the carb re-jetted and adjusted What other upgrades should be done ??? Thank you for suggestions and input
    JimDirt

Re: 2005 crf 450 looking for recommendations on upgrades to do

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It sounds like your pretty much set up for Off-Road , about the only other things i would suggest is maybe a overflow bottle from a 250X (I did this to my 02 450) and maybe a flywheel weight , I am not sure if you need or want one , but I also put a OEM 450X kickstand on , as the stock 450X footpeg mount bolts right up and you now have a kickstand , instead of looking for a tree or a rock to lean your bike against , unless i am doing a MX race where they don't allow kickstands , I have mine on all the time (you can see it in the bottom pic) , you did not mention weather you will be riding desert faster paced stuff or slow technical single track , the flywheel weight really helps with the slow technical stuff , and it still works well on the MX track and faster stuff , you will find that it will idle better and be less prone to stalling when you get in tough situations , i have a 13oz (35 oz total) weight on my 02 , they make several increments so you can have as much or as little engine braking and weight effect as you prefer , , if your bike is prone to stalling , then go heavier , and it almost eliminates stalling and makes for smooth transition from bottom to top , it does slightly reduce engine braking , but only very slightly , you would get used to it after the first few corners and engine braking situations

This is what the tank setup looks like , I got mine from EBay for about $40 , and it included all the hoses and everything i needed with the exception of making some mounting brackets , which was simple , I mounted mine to the rear left side fender bolt , and to the seat bolt , I do not have any issues with the tire rubbing , i did slightly notch the number plate to access the cap easier..
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 pm

I second Jim's suggestion on the kick stand !
    Only other item I did not see on your list that is really nice to have are radiator guards.

Have fun - safe riding to you. :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • matt mattison

by matt mattison » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm

I went out and picked up a Pro Moto Billet Kick-It Kick Stand for it and it is so nice to have already and have not even been on a ride yet with it lol.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Yea , kickstands are worth every penny (the only thing i don't like about the PMB kickstand is the footprint is really small , so in soft sand it tends to sink in , if you ride a lot of soft mud or sand , you might consider taking the kickstand leg to a aluminum welder and have them put a large round plate under the stock plate , one about the 2" across/round will help a lot and should not be in the way when the stand is up , i did this with a large washer on my 450X stand i put on my R *did it to my X as well* , it makes a huge difference when it comes to walking away from your bike and knowing its not going to be lying on the ground when you return)

The overflow tank is also a must have , as well as a 1.6 or 1.8 bar radiator cap , and radiator guards/braces like Neil mentioned , pay for themselves the first time its on its side and you pick it up and the radiators are still straight , and/or at the very least will still hold water when your 10 or more miles from your truck or camp ...................
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • matt mattison

by matt mattison » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks guys,
    well I think the only thing left to do is have my carb re-jetted as I have completed all this to it
    Front and rear suspension done by 707 Racing

IMS 3.2 gallon gas tank

IMS shifter

Aluminium Billet Kick Stand

Pro Taper Chain

Pro Taper Handle Bars

SRT front and rear sprockets

Seat concept custom seat

New Hand Guards and barkbusters

New Front and rear rims and hubs by Tusk

Boyseen Supper cooler

Motion pro coolant recovery tank

Tugger seat handle

new front and rear brake pads

TM designs Chain guide kit

FMF Titium Mega Bomb Header

FMF 4.1 exhaust

Changed out coolant to Ziptye

Tusk High Pressure Radiator Cap with Temperature Gauge 1.8 Bar

Mylers Silicone Radiator Hose Kit Red

Moose Skid plate

thinking about upgrading the stator so I can add a cooling fan and a odometer any recommendations on these last items ?????
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:23 am

Not sure a stator would run a fan on its own , i would think a battery would be needed to store the juice to allow the stator to keep it charged enough to run the fan , so maybe adapting a X subframe would be the only real option for that along with a charging stator , as far as the odo , a Trail Tech Vapor does not need a external battery power to run , as it runs off basically a watch battery

But Trail Tech also makes stators , so does Ricky Stators , so there 2 options right there , and Trail Tech also make a fan kit (but it does not include a battery setup as far as i know , but i would contact Trail Tech directly , to see what they would recommend , or if there is a stator they make that could power the fan
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • matt mattison

by matt mattison » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Not sure a stator would run a fan on its own , i would think a battery would be needed to store the juice to allow the stator to keep it charged enough to run the fan , so maybe adapting a X subframe would be the only real option for that along with a charging stator , as far as the odo , a Trail Tech Vapor does not need a external battery power to run , as it runs off basically a watch battery

But Trail Tech also makes stators , so does Ricky Stators , so there 2 options right there , and Trail Tech also make a fan kit (but it does not include a battery setup as far as i know , but i would contact Trail Tech directly , to see what they would recommend , or if there is a stator they make that could power the fan
    This is great info thank you so much.