Crf100 cuts off after 45 minute ride
  • Mjleedle

Crf100 cuts off after 45 minute ride

by Mjleedle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am

Sons 2004 100f shuts off after 45-50 minutes of riding. Initially thinking it was flooding as letting it sit for 10-20 minutes it would restart. However, after fully rebuilding carb, double checking float, and watching his GoPro footage I’m leaning more toward electrical. It basically acts like the kill switch is being held because you can basically hear it stop firing and coast to a stop. I’m assuming the coil is going bad and over heating.

Is there a way to bench test the coil and CDI to see if one or both are bad? I hate throwing parts at problems without first knowing if they are bad or not.
    JimDirt

Re: Crf100 cuts off after 45 minute ride

by JimDirt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:44 pm

What you can do is call the dealer (or go there) and see if they will give you the specs from the Service Manual or print you off the pages that show the test procedures and specs , as the Owners Manual will not have the specs you need to test the coil or anything else .... another item it also could be is the Stator , it can give the same symptoms .... , same goes for the CDI/ECU .... any one of them can work for a short period , then when they get hot , they shut down , but will work fine when cold , until they ultimately fail completely .... , but without buying a Service Manual , that would be your best and least expensive option
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Mjleedle

by Mjleedle » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:55 pm

What you can do is call the dealer (or go there) and see if they will give you the specs from the Service Manual or print you off the pages that show the test procedures and specs , as the Owners Manual will not have the specs you need to test the coil or anything else .... another item it also could be is the Stator , it can give the same symptoms .... , same goes for the CDI/ECU .... any one of them can work for a short period , then when they get hot , they shut down , but will work fine when cold , until they ultimately fail completely .... , but without buying a Service Manual , that would be your best and least expensive option
    Thank you Jim, I’ll head over and ask. I have a service manual but refers to a CDI trouble shooting manual.
  • Mjleedle

by Mjleedle » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:55 pm

Thank you Jim, I’ll head over and ask. I have a service manual but refers to a CDI trouble shooting manual.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:10 pm

That is odd that the CDI testing is not part of the Factory Service Manual ... Maybe contact the dealer and see if they can print you a copy of the Supplement that has those specific tests ... and ask them why it is not part of the Factory Service Manual which is what their mechanics would use , so it "should" have everything .. :-k :?
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho