Front Wheel 2004 CRF 100F is leaking air from the stem.
  • Mick1978

Front Wheel 2004 CRF 100F is leaking air from the stem.

by Mick1978 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:28 am

My 2004 CRF 100F's front wheel size is leaking air at the stem. I put a new tube in and it's still leaking. The wheel does not look bent. So I want to check that I have the correct wheel and tire combo. The front wheel is a Araya 1.40 X 19 and the tire is a Bridestone M23 2.50 - 19. Are these two correct? Anything else I need to check? How snug is the locknut supposed to be? I might have put it on too tight the last time.
    JimDirt

Re: Front Wheel 2004 CRF 100F is leaking air from the stem.

by JimDirt » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:02 am

My guess is you either pinched the tube while installing , or the rim lock has burrs on it and a sharp edge where the metal part is , and it is cutting the tube .... either way , looks like you will be pulling the tube out again , whether you can patch it depends on the cut/pinch location and size ....... you may be able to patch it with a patch kit , or you may end up having to buy another tube

The biggest mistake when changing tires/tubes is trying to grab too large a bite with the tire spoon/iron , you end up pulling the bead too tight and either the tube gets caught in between and is pinched , or you actually tear it with the spoon ...... small sections is all you need to go , maybe 1-3 inches at a time , many small bites with the spoon is better than just a few big ones to try to hurry getting the tire on , making sure that the tire bead on the opposite side of the rim (not across the rim , but on the flip side of the rim) is still not seated , as that will make the tire harder to get on , even soaping the bead of the tire with a spray bottle of Awesome or diluted dish soap will ease installation and make the bead go over the lip of the rim easier , as opposed to installing it dry , you do not want the bead in place till you have the entire tire spooned over the rim lip on both sides , then let the air when filling seat the bead , you can also use Baby Powder to coat the tube itself before installing , it makes is slicker and less likely to catch in the bead .......

But what I would check , is the rim lock , and run your hand along the edges of the metal part , if it feels rough or sharp , then it is sharp enough to cut the tube , so sand or file the edge of it and try to round the edge , so it is smooth/dull, much like the back side of a butter knife , rather than like the edge you cut with , that is most likely the issue ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho