Carb adjustment question
  • robmc5

Carb adjustment question

by robmc5 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:20 am

My daughter has a CRF80 and the carb would continually leak gas, I tried to adjust the float several times, cleaning the carb and nothing helped. I finally replaced the entire carburetor. The new carb ran great, perfect idle. The only issue I have is that when you are riding it and get the motor to top end in any gear it starts to sputter very badly. I am not sure what causes this and how to fix it. I do not want to mess with the idler of fuel mixture because other that this problem its running great.

This is a great forum, thanks for the help!!!
  • Back2-2

Re: Carb adjustment question

by Back2-2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:14 am

Hello, first,the carb you removed probably had a needle & seat leaking fuel past the seat seal. Replacing the needle [ the small bullet looking item with the rubber tip ] would have fixed your leaking issue. Common problem and known to need replacement on any carb engine.
    Second, the issue you are having now sounds like to large of a main jet. At full throttle the only fuel circuit in effect is the main jet. If it sputters that usually defines to much fuel for the engine to burn. If it just lacks power at full throttle that tends to indicate a lean condition. One thing you can try is dropping one or two main jet sizes and test. There are many variables but from the small amount of information you provided that would be the best suggestion I can offer. That is as long as all these items are in clean functional condition - Air filter, ign, spark plug air leaks ect...
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200